Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Review for Quarterdome and Sub Kilo

I finally got to test my REI Quarterdome tent and my ladies REI Sub Kilo bag, this weekend.

The REI Quarterdome...my feelings? It will work well as a roomy solo tent for me - as a solo tent it is downright huge. Will it work with my son? Sure, but not a lot of room for him to move-and sharing a tent with a squirmy 8 year old is not fun in the rain. I may end up taking my REI Coupe on trips with him, when I don't need freestanding.
Defintely a keeper though. Excellent venilation! And I love being able to sit up in it. Easy to set up.

The Sub Kilo bag...wow. Some people have claimed it isn't on the temp rating, but for the first time in almost a year I was warm at night (my meds make me very cold now). We camped on a subalpine lake, next to snow fields-and I was hot all night long. Zipped open hot. I can bet I will be using it 10 months of the year. And lovely fluffiness.

Ok, is isn't a scientific report here I was warm, and had no condensation in the morning. That is about what I care about!

I forgot, I also got to try out my Airwalk faux Croc's on the trip..and well, unless I have a river fording, I will take them with me on every trip I do. I am embarrased to admit I waited so long to get a pair. Dang. They are comfy, I can wear socks, and I don't fall out of them, like I did in my old camp shoes. Worth every penny of the $15 I paid. And being rainbow, ain't anyone going to have a pair like mine...lol!

Last edited by sarbar : 07-09-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost