Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Non-Metal Mug / Cup for Hot Beverages

If you use a non-metal, non-disposable mug (cup) for hot beverages, please share the specs (brand, size, weight) and any related commentary regarding how it has performed for you on your backpacking trips.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: JRB No Sniv
Shelter: WBBB hammock

I have a blue lexan cup. Sorry, I don't have a weight for it (can't justify the $$$ for a scale, yet). It's pretty lightweight, rugged as can be, and doesn't keep hot things hot worth a damn. But, Rivet alcohol stove fits in it perfectly, and then the cup fits in my Open Country small aluminum pot nice and snug. I'm sure I can upgrade to something that actually keeps warm things warm, but I'm at the point where I actually have most everything I need, and find it hard to justify spending money to replace what is perfectly functional.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I mainly use an 8 oz. red plastic cup (20g) from an old cook set. I once used it for everything, but eventually decided that I liked to have coffee and oatmeal at the same time. Since then I've also carried an Orikaso folding cup, 52g. That seems kind of heavy, but I'm happy with it.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I've been using a GSI Cascadian cup. It's polypropylene, inexpensive, and holds 12 oz., which is a good volume for me. It weighs under 2 oz.

Perkolady
Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolady
I've been using a GSI Cascadian cup. It's polypropylene, inexpensive, and holds 12 oz., which is a good volume for me. It weighs under 2 oz.

Perkolady

I have the GSI Soloist Cookset, which includes a cup. This set can be found on the above site. The cover for the kettle also fits the cup. The set is heavier than other combinations I use but the cup keeps my coffee hotter much longer than the TI cup I often use.

Slosteppin
Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 PM

I use the GSI 14oz Lexan cup. 100 grams on my scales, but the morning coffee in large doses is a requirement. I was eyeballing other mugs, but for the volume and weight I think I'm set.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 AM

I have been using a plastic 8 oz cup from a cookset for many years. I make my oatmeal first and then coffee in the same cup. The coffee cleans the oatmeal and just leaves a simple wipe out before storage.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

REI plastic cup with slobber prevention top: 12 ounce cup, 5 ounce weight. Yeah, too heavy by half, but it just ain't campin' without it. Used to pack a similar cup I got from a gas station twenty years or more ago, but finally tossed it during a garage reorg, I think. Well, anyway it came up missing and I just couldn't find a gas station willing to give me another and that's how it all happened.

Sure keeps the coffee hot!

Ben
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM

I am sure someone will post info about all the new chemicals I am injesting using my method but here goes...

I use sports drink bottles as my water bottles and I use one of them for my tea and coffee. As I pour the hot/boiling water into it is does seem to change shape a little but the bottle holds up for a few trips before I replace it with another "free" bottle.

I also pack my dogs food in these bottles because I have had the kibble wear holes in plastic bags.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkmeup
I use sports drink bottles as my water bottles and I use one of them for my tea and coffee. As I pour the hot/boiling water into it is does seem to change shape a little but the bottle holds up for a few trips before I replace it with another "free" bottle.
Do you use a non-disposable mug/cup at all?

Reality