Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Availability of CR123A batteries?

I recently bought a Steripen Adventurer Opti which takes only CR123A batteries. I was torn between it and the Classic, which takes AAs (available almost everywhere), but chose the Opti for the weight savings.
Threads from 5 and 6 years ago mention that the CR123A batteries were hard to find, especially in foreign countries. Does anyone have recent experience traveling abroad, especially in the developing world, with finding CR123A batteries? How about in small towns? Thanks.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM

get some good rechargeable batteries and a solar charger, I hear the sun works outside of America, too.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Those CR123 batteries are readily available down here and in parts of Asia, and over in Europe...

And they're s'posed to be dirt-cheap - in little 3 or 4 battery holders..
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 PM

Remember the classic needs lithium AA...not alkaline so availability is gonna be similar when looking for CR123A. You could buy rechargeable AA as long as they are the higher mAh I believe in the 2250 on up rating. I have a bunch of those but they dont hold a charge well and cycle times are limited. They are cheaper in the long haul if you use it a ton, just dont let them sit...charge them right before your trip. As much as most probably use their steripen I bet the return on rechargeables when you spend 30 bucks on the charger and 2-4 batteries you would probably be better off just getting the disposable. If you travel to a 3rd world where you do have power...get a CamelBak All Clear...charges via USB.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetoonist
I recently bought a Steripen Adventurer Opti which takes only CR123A batteries. I was torn between it and the Classic, which takes AAs (available almost everywhere), but chose the Opti for the weight savings.
Threads from 5 and 6 years ago mention that the CR123A batteries were hard to find, especially in foreign countries. Does anyone have recent experience traveling abroad, especially in the developing world, with finding CR123A batteries? How about in small towns? Thanks.

From my experience, you can find CR123A batteries just about anywhere. If your'e concerned about availability, they're only the size of a coin, so take a few spares along.