Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Travel Backpacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Travel Backpacking The Travel Backpacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to international backpacking (also known as independent travel). Subject matter should involve the elements that comprise this type of backpacking: budgeting, cultural tips, backpacking gear, hostels, and transportation.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Travel Tips: Gear (Clothes, Personal Care...) Options

Do you have any tips regarding the selections of travel clothing and personal gear items that save weight and are versatile (multiuse)?

For example, perhaps you only bring one pair of pants and a couple of shirts and wash them regularly. Another example is a small disposible razor, rather than an electric model.

Reality

Update: Keep in mind, this is not about a travel gear list - rather versatile/multiuse weight-savings ...
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

For trips by air: one pair of shorts, one pair of jeans (wear the jeans on the flight). Five shirts, five pairs of underwear, five pairs of socks. One pair of Kahki's/slacks and a polo. One pair of swimtrunks. Wear tennis shoes, pack one pair of Sanuks (sidewalk surfers).

Toiletries ... Disposable razor (I use in the shower with soap instead of carrying shaving cream), toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, repackage aftershave into a less than 3 ounce bottle for airtravel. Small non-gel stick deodorant. A few small saftey pins for emergency repairs, Q tips in a small ziplock snack bag, shampoo repackaged into a 2 to 3 ounce bottle (hotel shampoos are hit or miss), several benadryl, several immodium caplets, a few bandaids, some antibodic ointment, small bottle of ibprofen, eyeglass screwdriver kit, and perscription medications.

I usually have to also carry my laptop for work, in case something were to happen and I needed to access company systems, so that goes in a patagonia laptop backpack with my cell phone, digital camera, ipod, and a tattered copy of beyond backpacking, as well as all the chargers and whatnot that goes with em.

Last but not least ... a baseball cap, small sewing kit, and lens cleaning cloth for my glasses.

I was a road warrior for 7 years, and spend over a hundred nights in hotels each year, as well as I've logged well over a million air miles. This system works for me.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

When I travel by air, I always carry my thermarest in my roller carry-on. The thermarest does double-duty as padding for my computer. So, I'm not carrying any special computer bag.