Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Base Camp > Practical Backpacking™ Podcast
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Practical Backpacking™ Podcast This forum is for the exclusive discussion of Practical Backpacking™ Podcast (PBP) episodes. [NOTE: All posts in this area are manually processed -- they do not show automatically.]

Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

PBP Episode 50 - Eric Ryback Hiking Legend

PBP Episode 50 - Eric Ryback Hiking Legend

Quote:
This episode features my talk with hiking legend Eric Ryback.

Eric hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1969, the Pacific Crest Trail in 1970, and the Continental Divide Trail in 1972. He is recognized as the first person to thruhike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. And he was the first person to achieve what is now referred to as the Triple Crown (for hiking all three of these national scenic trails).

At the young age of 17, Eric kicked off these ambitious journeys with a zealous yearning for personal discovery and high adventure. Because theses trails were also young, this presented Eric with sparse trip-planning resources and an opportunity to help establish some trail routes sections as we know them today.

Anyone interested in hiking and backpacking will certainly be enriched amd inspired by Eric's legendary hiking adventures.

Additional Photo:

Eric Ryback on PCT Hike - 1970 - near Castle Crags (California)
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

Reality,

I and many other outdoors folk have greatly enjoyed these podcasts over the past few years, listening and listening again and listening some more. These are without question the best of the hiking interviews I have ever found on the net.

You are to be commended, and thanked, for resuming them after so long a silence. And your decision to resume the Practical Backpacking Podcast with an interview with the legendary Eric Ryback is perfect. Great choice.

From all of us, thanks for all you do.

The backpacking community is improved through your efforts on our behalf.

Ben
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Benwaller,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed the PB Podcast.

I have many other episodes to produce/release as time/life permits.

I'm sure this episode featuring Eric will be well-received by hikers of yesterday and today. I've been receiving some great feedback - including your gracious comments.

Reality
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Reality,

I would like to echo Benwaller's sentiments; I'm sure everyone who listens to your podcasts or who participates on this forum feels the same way.

Awesome interview with Eric Ryback. I read The High Adventures of Eric Ryback when I was in high school (probably like many here) and I consider him a childhood hero. Can't believe I got to listen to an hour and seven minute interview. You asked all the questions I would have wanted to ask and more. A very inspiring and heart warming interview...and Eric sounds like a wonderful, genuine, down-to-earth human being.

Thank you very much for all you do, Reality. Really, PBP and your forum are one-of-a-kind services and treasures and we are all greatly indebted to you.

Darryl Noda (Wildfield)

Last edited by Wildfield : 03-26-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Thank you very much, Wildfield. You are very welcome, too.

It really means a lot to receive this feedback. I do my best to make a contribution to the hiking world. It makes me feel good when I know that it helps others in some way.

I'm in good company here on PBF. It would be nice to get together for a hike/camp with many of my fellow members that frequent these forums.

Eric is a great guy. I consider myself fortunate to have him as my friend.

Reality
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Does this mean PBP is returning? If so I couldn't be happier, as others stated its a great resource and I enjoy it immensely. Thank you for the hard work.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks for your comments, Zvolen.

I have a large list of episodes to work my way through, and I plan to produce and release them as time permits.

I hope it's "returning" in a way that makes listeners happy. I'll do my best.

Reality
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I just saw that the podcast has been updated and I too want to thank you, Reality, for producing what is by far the best outdoors podcast on the Net.

Podcasts are a lot of work, especially when your goal is a high quality show, which yours is. So thank you again and I really look forward to listening to this newest show.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks Poppa. I'm glad you're enjoying the episodes. I hope to release more soon.

Reality
Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I to would like to Thank you and echo all comments made on this thread so far this is the Best Podcast I have found on the Backpacking and outdoor worlds I to enjoied reading Eric Rybaks High Adventure and can say I probably would not have started Backpacking if I had not read that book to hear the interview brought back many great memories Thank you