Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

Thanks for the wise advice, Grandpa. I actually was thinking about that. The kit comes with 12oz of down, but I don't know that I'll need a bag that warm. I basically need something for low 30s-65 degrees and I've read people rate the 12oz bag in the 20s. I was thinking of making my quilt with 9oz of down and then hopefully I can always add more later if it turns out I need a warmer quilt. Or even better, hopefully I'd have saved some more funds by then and I can just make another for colder weather and have multiple nice quilts! I've got a very thin down blanket already that rolls up really small and I'm thinking would be well suited for 65-70+ summer camping. It's those cold WI spring and fall nights that I'm worried about. It can regularly get down to low 40s-high 30s. I think I'd rather be a little over prepared than under prepared when it comes to sleeping cold. While I know I could sleep in everything I own, I don't think it would be very comfortable on a regular basis.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

Another option for extending the temp range is a silk liner. They are quite light weight. Doing an internet search will likely get you to some links for ones made in Viet Nam that are about half the price of the ones offered by major brands. They add 9-10ºF to the temperature rating. I think most go to sleeping bag users because they help keep the interior of the bag clean.