Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

View Poll Results: Do you wear a hat as part of your cold weather sleeping gear?
Yes 45 88.24%
No 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Gear: BA Q-Core SL, WM Versalite
Shelter: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

I'm a cold sleeper and I've got this bomber balaclava made of 300 weight windproof fleece that is long length for full neck coverage. The part that you pull up over your mouth and nose is breathable. I call it my "never get cold" hat because I have never been cold while wearing it. That's what I wear in my sleeping bag if it's cold, that way I won't have the tendency to burrow in and then have breath vapor inside my bag.

I did buy a Black Rock down beanie which I'll wear on less cold nights. In Alaska even in summer it tends to drop in the 40's or low 50's at night so a hat is pretty much a good thing no matter what.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i've tried and for some reason i'll toss and turn and shift my head around in my sleep till the hat's off.

so i mitigate. close-fitting bag. my sleeping 'pillow' is my clothing stuff-sack, which has a fleece inner liner, and is reasonably warm. i already wear my hair long, which helps a tiny bit, but not long enough. tops of the ears, really.

usually what i do is take my mid-layer to bed. this is typically a fleece pullover. it's light enough and non-irritating so i don't try to move it in my sleep.

does look funny tho. also makes a dandy light-shield.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I use a stocking cap that I have to look for every time I wake up.

Thanks to this thread, I remember there's an old cheap windbreaker somewhere in the house. I'm going to find it, cut off the cinch-up hood and see if that will hold the stocking cap on.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: DIY Hammock, Owyhee Top Quilt, New River Under Quilt
Shelter: Warbonnet Mamajamba Tarp

I have used at least one of these on a hike or overnight trip. A knit ski cap, a balaclava, a trappers hat or a hoodie to keep my head warm at night.