Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Lightweight, but durable.

Hi all,

I am looking for tents that are considered ultralight weight, but I am concerned with durability. I can sacrifice a few ounces for one that is preety durable. 3+ pounds is the extreme end of what I am looking for. This has to be a two person tent.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited by nicodimas : 05-05-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

What are you looking for in terms of durability? I haven't seen a commercially available UL tent yet that wasn't reasonably durable, but you might have a particular use in mind.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 PM

-but you might have a particular use in mind

Extended use and just for my own mind. I don'y know if this exists yet, but this will be my last piece to move into the ultralight category as I am coming from a REI Quarter dome. Wanted something that could perform as well durability-wise..hopefully without its flaws.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

You might want to look at Tarptents.
I'm kind of guessing that by "3+" you mean closer to 3 than to 4 and the only option I can think of for traditional 2 person tents is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2.

Durability is not something I'd worry about with any reputable maker. I've never heard of anyone wearing one out from ordinarry use. It's a given that they can handle weather and beyond that I can't think of any scenerio where durability would be put to a test....except for falling trees and embers maybe which no tent would handle. Each tent has it's limit as to wind and snow of course.....but to reach those upper limits puts you out of the 3 pound for a 2 person range as far as I know.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodimas
-but you might have a particular use in mind

Extended use and just for my own mind. I don'y know if this exists yet, but this will be my last piece to move into the ultralight category as I am coming from a REI Quarter dome. Wanted something that could perform as well durability-wise..hopefully without its flaws.

Out of curiousity, what flaws did you find with the Quarter Dome? If I were shorter, I think I'd be buying one during REI's sale.

If I were in the market for a two person 3 season tent that was roomy yet light weight, I'd look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The market is full of choices however.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM

Nobody has done a test on all of these UL tents and been like X > Y because it's strength resilence to wind, rain, etc. I will be up on Rim in (windy) and white moutains (Rainy) in Az.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I've used my Tarptent Cloudburst for years in AZ (my favorite destination), which included some unbelievably nasty weather (winds around 40 mph, driving rain, hail, and snow) and numerous trips to rim country. It's also experienced some of the outer bands of a hurricane in NJ. The only thing conditions I would worry about would be heavy snow and super high winds. For solo trips I've started using a Tarptent Contrail, but it hasn't seen quite the same weather yet.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: SMD Comet
Sleeping Gear: WM Ultralight/KookaBay custom insulated air pad
Shelter: Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

I can tell you that my Tarptent Squall 2 has survived pretty high winds, the Labrador retriever tail-wag test, and multiple episodes of tripped over guylines from 6-year-old grandson and the dog racing each other at top speed. Do plan to use the optional side guylines when it's windy, though. It has a lot more space than most 2-person tents. For more headroom (but a bit more weight), the Tarptent Double Rainbow or the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo are both great tents.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

Nichodimas, whether youre on the Cabin Loop or Mt. Baldy the Double Rainbow is the closest in design to a dome tent such as the Half/Quarter dome. The Lunar Duo is huge inside, yet requires hiking poles for support. I have been in monsoon driven thunderstorms in August up near Blue Ridge in a homemade tarp-tent in constant 30mph wind and hail. Im still here!
You might consider the ultra-lux Hilleberg models too, but they cost ya. $$