Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinthePines
One of my scouts has one, so being the gear junkie I am, I checked it out. I'm 5'8'' tall and 165# and I found that it was too small. I brushed my head sitting up in it and it felt way to narrow. I liked the large vestible and side entry but only one side has a vestible. This lead to a bit of fun for that scout, as a wasp got under the non-vestible side and was hanging on the mesh wall. He had to pull the fly half off to get it out!

I'm 5'9'' and 165-170 lbs and can sit up fine in it and have no problem with the width. I feel that it is more than adequate. Just depends on the person, I suppose. Great tent.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Congrats Rick!
You got a good price on that tent.
Forget what Trailguru said. He doesn't seem to realize the mark-up on every single item he has ever bought. I hope he enjoys his blue tarp though, they are nice and cheap.

I really like the Hubba for two reasons. It is tall enough inside to sit up in. It has a usable vestibule.

MSR offers a new Hubba that is a bit lighter and and uses solid fabric instead of the mesh, which is heavier. That's why retailers are discounting the model you bought.

Don't know if you're interested in in saving more weight or not, but if you are, you can replace the aluminium pole with a carbon fiber setup from Fibreplex and save another 10 ounces.

By using a combination of titainium and V stakes, Triptease guylines, the carbon fiber pole setup, UL footprint and a couple other mods, I have trimmed my Hubba's weight from 4lbs 1oz, to 3lbs 3oz.

Not bad for a real tent that keeps me dry and bug free.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holubar
By using a combination of titainium and V stakes, Triptease guylines, the carbon fiber pole setup, UL footprint and a couple other mods, I have trimmed my Hubba's weight from 4lbs 1oz, to 3lbs 3oz.

Holubar, maybe you have the Hubba Hubba? My Hubba weighs just 3 lbs, 5 oz. including eleven V stakes and a couple guy lines I added. I will look into the carbon fiber pole thing, but I am as happy as a clam with this tent. So happy I may forego thoughts of having a Lunar Solo for the fairer weather months. I think MSR is making a mistake by offering a Hubba with less mesh. That means it will have more condensation. My Hubba, with its all-mesh inner tent, is just about perfect for me.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickosovitch
Holubar, maybe you have the Hubba Hubba? My Hubba weighs just 3 lbs, 5 oz. including eleven V stakes and a couple guy lines I added. for me.

No, I have a Hubba 1 person tent.

When I got mine it weighed 3lbs 9oz. { Plus 6.25 oz for the MSR footprint}That was about two years ago. I believe MSR made a few changes in material on your model tent, hence the weight difference between our tent weights.

I saved 6.75oz with the carbon pole, 1.75oz by replacing every cord, guyline and drawstring with Triptease, and around 2 ounces by using titanium stakes for the floor only. I only use five V stakes for the guylines.
My replacement footprint weighs 2oz.

Well, that's the way it goes. In two years, there may be a tent like the Hubba that weighs a pound and a half-fully rigged. Of course I'll have to get one, sigh.

Last edited by Holubar : 04-24-2008 at 10:00 PM.