Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Hi,

Managed to sort mine out,

Make sure the pegs and lines are pulled out stright inline with the head and foot ends of the tarp, dont pull out diagonally.

Seems to work for me, had a nice dry night
Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Tarptent Rainbow setup questions

Greetings!

I bought a Tarptent Rainbow about a month ago and was just able to set it up for the first time today (snow finally melted--grass finally dry). I was able to get a pretty tight pitch the first time, but there are a few details that concern me. I'm hoping some Rainbow users can help me....

1. First, what's your technique for getting the pole throught the sleeve? I followed the instructions and had a heck of a time getting it through. The yellow sleeve kept bunching up while I was pushing the pull through. This wasn't an easy thing to do. I know it's gotta get easier, but I'd hate to have it take me as long as it did today when it's either getting dark or the weather is inclement.

2. Do you stake out the four corners first and THEN slide in the pole. Or, vice versa? I put the pole in first and found it sorta awkward in staking out the corners and front and rear beak.

3. Once I did get it pitched....I unzipped the front beak and mesh and looked inside. The floor wasn't taut at all. In fact, the netting around the floor was LAYING on the ground. I climbed inside, fastened the floor to the side clips and the mesh was STILL nearly flat on the ground. Plus, the front loop by the door wasn't exactly lined-up with the clip--it was sorta off-set. What am I doing wrong? Does it have something to do with the strap that goes underneath the tent?

4. When putting the Rainbow away....do you stuff it or roll it? I sorta folded it and rolled it and then stuffed it!

I'm hoping someone will have some answers for me. I'm most concerned about the floor and the floor netting issue. I can see this being a real problem when it rains.

Otherwise, I"m blown away at the interior size of this shelter! I love it. I just need to fix these several issues!

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

1 It is a little tight in the sleeve. i push it in like the directions say untell it bunches up a little then i go over and pull the sleeve straight on the pole. Then keep repeating.

2 usaly there is some kind of wind so i stake out one corner (the upwind side) so it douse not blow around once i put the pole. the tent kind of turns into a kite untell you stake all corners down and makes it difficult to work with.

3 On the floor corners on the outside there are some loops you need to fasten to the stake outs did you do this?

4 i fold and rolled. this is how i have always put tents away and never had a problem.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I push the pole through in the same manner as beerforcat...I also stake down one corner when it's windy...I was thinking about this last night as I remember having the same problem when I first got my DR...I realized I had been spreading the center pole out too wide which caused the mesh to lay on the ground...when I increased the pitch of the pole it brought the mesh up...I had to work to get the bathtub floor to form a rim...I shortened the ties near the door...I remember doing that...and discovered if I had the center pole at the correct angle and the corners staked out properly, the corners, when clipped in, formed the "tub"configuration...hope this helps...

Last edited by Mataharihiker : 04-04-2008 at 06:23 AM.