Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Questions for Tarptent Rainbow Users

Hi all,
I received my Rainbow a couple of days ago (Shires reccommended over the Contrail) and I love the design and ease of setup except I cannot get the bathtub floor to "square out". I tried readjusting the angles from the tent as I currently run them inline with the corners (45 out of the 90 degree corner) I have tightened the strap underneath the tent. I have also messed with different combinations of yellow and black tighteners. I am using the supplied stakes.

I spent some time looking at others photos and the one thing I've noticed is that I have a lot more netting on the opening side. When the tent is erected and staked out, I have an extra 8-10" of netting on the ground. It lays out about 4-5" and doubles over itself before going vertical. If the ground was to become wet I am sure it would wick. In researching other's tent pic's, I noticed that theirs are more vertical and they have the bathtub floor square.

Can someone give me some tips? I'm beginning to wonder if the netting is to long by accident or poles cut to short, or ...The reason I think of the netting is that the other side is elevated when clipped but on the opening side it sags even when clipped. With the loose netting, the floor does not change much when clipped or unclipped.

Thanks in advance,
TP
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Pictures of your setup would help to visualize what's going on.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Better still, send those pictures to Henry Shires. He can tell you how to fix it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I can't seem to post the photos...I tried to be detailed. I was hoping someone had been in the same boat and could tell me what I am doing wrong. I will contact Shires...thanks for replying.
TP
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I don't remember how much netting exactly hangs over on my revised, on-piece bathtub floor, but I do know that the tub did not pull up on the sides (door sides) unless I shortened the ties to clip it higher.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

would be interested to hear how the story ends on this one..

I have a Double Rainbow and noticed that the mesh at the head and foot ends actually hangs out further than the outer wall which will definately lead to leaks.

Cheers
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 PM

Markm,
Henry sent me a photo series on how to wrap the hooks to help square out the tub.
Also he stated that the stakes should extend straight-out, inline with the ends of the tent. I tried it that way earlier today and it definetly makes the tent a lot tighter but mesh didn't move much. I will take down and repitch (sp?) the tent tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:08 AM

Trespassed, can you post those pictures that Henry sent you so that we all can see them? thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack
Sleeping Gear: POE Max Thermo pad/MEC -3 Merlin
Shelter: TarpTent Double Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm
would be interested to hear how the story ends on this one..

I have a Double Rainbow and noticed that the mesh at the head and foot ends actually hangs out further than the outer wall which will definately lead to leaks.

Cheers

Yes, I have experienced that as well. :(

At the time, it was leaking on the end that the storm was coming from, not both ends. At the time, I just put a couple of stuff sacs to help 'deflect' the water off the floor and keep my sleeping bag dry. After that, I made sure I extended the pole tips as far out, away from the tent body, as they could go, after loosing up the 'pole tension adjuster', as much as possible and making sure the floor was under/away from the upper 'tarp' section, as far as possible.
Not ideal and not sure how well this will work as I haven't been in anymore downpours after that incident.

Dusty
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 PM

The photos were in a PDF, I do not know how to repost them. I'll see if I can find someone who knows how
It is the liner install photos for the DR. The way he wraps it pull more center.