Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Paddling
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Paddling The Paddling forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness paddling (canoeing, kayaking, rafting). Topics focus on trip planning and gear.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Inflatable Canoes

Do you use (or have you used) an inflatable canoe?

If so, please explain what you like and don't like and to what extent you've used one.

Please feel free to upload any trip photos of the inflatable canoe in use.

Thanks for your participation.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

totally relevant to interests. i've been in the market for something reasonably transportable over rugged terrain that can also haul hundreds of pounds when in water.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Years ago I had a tandem Seyvlor canoe. I was tough and paddled well - with a double-bladed paddle, but the wide gunwales were a bit awkward and I was always a bit concerned about fishing from it - having visions of harpooning the thing with a fish hook (never happened, but it could.). Deflated and rolled it was fairly bulky as was the foot pump that came with it. It was also, if I recall correctly, around 30 lbs. The big advantage was it was easy to store and transport deflated. The disadvantage was that was about as heavy as a light fiberglass canoe and was awkward to portage when inflated.

I have long toyed with the idea of the Seyvlor pack boat, a solo inflatable that rolls to about 16" x 6" and weighs around 5 lbs with paddles and a stuff sack that doubles as a pump. It's a lighter weight fabric than their larger boats and so is more fragile. In use, you sit on the bottom, your back supported by the main tube with your pack between your legs. Fore stream crossing or pond fishing it is surely as small and light as it gets. It is also inexpensive - around $80 or so - but so far I haven't gotten one.

FWIW, I replaced all the treble hooks on my lures with double hooks. These slide easily onto the eyelet/ring, IMO balance the lure better and don't have that sharp, pointy thing sticking up to snag boat or you.