Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Leaving Guyline on Webbed Loops of Shelter

Hi,

For those who use tents, do you leave the cord on the webbed loops of your tent and/or tent fly during storage or do you remove them and replace for every trip? I remove mine because I worry that the constant squishing strain will damage the webbing somehow. Sure is a hassle to replace for every trip, especially in the cold, dark rain. Sometimes I wonder if I'm heading towards minimalism only because I'm a bit on the lazy side. But in the meantime, I'd like to take care of my tents.

Also, while I'm asking, what do you use those loops on the inside of the tent for? I've tied my clothes to them and hung my light from them. My ginormous TNF Basecamp (almost as big as a pop-up camper) has these loops all along the sides and ceiling. The salesperson said it could be used to 'guy-out' from the inside in case of a major wind. While I can't imagine the wind that would bend this thing, I also can't imagine how to guy-out from the inside and to what I'd tie to, the opposite side?

yippikiyo
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I leave the guylines on my tarp while its stored. Normally they are loose enough that I'm not too worried about compromising the webbing.

Adam
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I leave my guylines on my tents/tarps, though have taken them off of a poncho-tarp on occasion.

I've used inside loops for hanging an LED light and even lightweight clothing at times.

Reality
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I leave my guylines attached also. They're extra long, so I can tie up to rocks or trees if necessary. My main tent lacks inside loops, which I miss. I like being able to hang a light or some wet clothes.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

i leave the tie outs tied to my tarps. if you're that worried, use a sliding knot of some sort at the tie-out loop end, that you can loosen up for storage, but can quickly pull on to tighten up again.

the inside loops can be used to string a clothesline or maybe they're for a gear loft, which is a sort of small trampoline/hammock thing that hangs from 3-4 points up near the 'ceiling' of a tent to hold 'stuff'.

as far as 'interior guy-outs', i've never heard of such a thing. i have 'hurricane bracing' inside the rafters of my house (diagonal pieces that go from low on one side to high on the other) to brace it from another direction (parallel to the ridgeline) but they're stiff braces. cables going in place of them wouldn't do the same thing. in a similar manner, i'm not sure interior guy-outs would work in your tent, unless you used your hiking poles and could fasten them to the loops somehow. make sense?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

I attach my lines with a quick bowline so when its stored there is no excess pressure or wear on the webbing.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezrad
I attach my lines with a quick bowline

I do much the same, I tie a bowline or figure 8 on a bight, and then girth hitch the line to the webbing using that. To remove the line all you have to do is pull the line back through the loop you made, plus it relaxs easliy if there isn't any tension on the line.

Adam
Old 01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack
Sleeping Gear: POE Max Thermo pad/MEC -3 Merlin
Shelter: TarpTent Double Rainbow

When I'm tenting, I'll pack a few lengths of parachute cord with my pegs, in their stuff sack. If needed, I'll attach them using the 'Loop Knot', as shown in my 'All Purpose Knots' video
The cord also doubles as guy lines during/for exceptional windy days/locations.
If Tarping, I add varying lengths of parachute cord to my tarp's integrated stuff sac and tie on a suitable length, when pitching the tarp. Each site is different and if need be, I can add a couple of lengths as needed, or just one short piece, to obtain a suitably taut tarp for variable 'pitches' or configurations. YMMV

Dusty
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM

I always leave mine on. It just saves time when you're setting up. I don't think it causes any significant wear on the webbing of the tent guy-out points to pack it that way. If you think about it, it probably causes more wear to loop and unloop it through the webbing (due to friction) than it does to just leave it in place.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Tarp guyline carrying/storage

I carry my guylines in a stuffsack, not attached to my tarp. I use a 10' x 10' tarp. I carry 2 long(20ft) lengths and various shorter lengths to give me options come pitching time. My lifter cord (for side tie-outs) is a different colour and i always have a loop in one end of these for quick pitching. All my lines are carried neatly hanked. As a newbie to tarping i would like to hear what others do. Do you carry lines seperate or do you leave them attached to the tarp?
Sponsored links