Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Central FL Gear List

Here's an idea of the gear I've gathered to carry around here in Central Florida on weekenders. Any feedback would be great, I'm just starting out and don't have too much experience; I've just been doing research on here.

Just figure in a little extra weight for miscellaneous toiletries as well as other odds and ends. Anything important I'm missing?

Packing/Shelter/Sleep
Granite Gear Vapor Trail - Regular (32oz)
Granite Gear Ultralight Stuff Sack (0.5oz)
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 (42oz)
Western Mountaineering Summerlite - Regular (19oz)
Thermarest Prolite 3 Sleeping Pad (19oz)
Water Wing Inflatable Pillow (2oz)

Cooking/Water
Alcohol Stove w/ Windscreen (2.25oz)
MSR Titan Titanium Kettle (4.2oz)
Snow Peak Titanium Spork (0.6oz)
Brasslite Fuel Bottle (1.3oz)
Mini Bic Lighter and Matches in Ziploc (1.0oz)
Nalgene Widemouth Water Bottle w/ Easy Sipper - (6.5oz)
Platypus 2+ Liter Bottle (1.3oz)
Platypus 1 Liter Bottle (1oz)
Katadyn Guide Water Microfilter (11oz)

Miscellaneous/Emergency Items
Bandana (1oz)
Notebook and Pen (4.5oz)
Black Diamon Ion Headlamp w/ Battery (1.25oz)
Space Blanket in Ziploc (1.75oz)
Leatherman Micra (2oz)
Poncho w/ Stuff Sack (7oz)
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

That's a pretty good looking list, especially for a first timer. I wish I had known about sites like these when I started hiking, it would have saved me a lot of pain and money. Its good to see you've done your research and chosen some good products that should last you a long time, or at least until you decide you want to go lighter . My one suggestion would be take another Platypus or a 1 liter soda bottle in place of the Nalgene, they're way too heavy for backpacking. If you were wanting to use it to measure out liquids, your Titan should have graduations of the side. Other than that, read up on wilderness first aid and navigation, knowledge is just as important as the gear you have. Most of all have fun, don't try to do 20 or 30 miles your first day out, find an easier trail and walk at a pace that works for you and enjoy your time in the wilderness.
I'm sure that as you gain more experience you will find things you do and don't need to carry, some people can get by and a foam pad while others MUST have their Thermarest or BA pads, only you can decide what will make you most comfortable on the trail.

Adam
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

nice list... some suggestions to lighten the load...

-go lite gust/dawn or ULA Conduit pack (20, 14, and 20oz respectively)
-replace nalgene with an Aqua Fina or Gatorade bottle. about a 4oz savings
-swap out the water filter for Aqua Mira drops (though i understand the issue of stagnant water being a bit nasty). about an 8oz savings.
-your big agnes seedhouse and pad together weigh 61 oz. you can sub a hennessey hammock and underquilt for 52oz.
-use your stuff sack for a pillow and save 2 oz.
-brasslite fuel bottle is about a half oz heavier than a soda bottle. yeah, i'm a gram weenie for that one, but you did ask... personally, i use 3 different sizes of bottle for my alcohol... 8, 12, and 20... (.4, .6, and 1oz, respectively). the shorter the trip, the smaller the bottle i use.

i think the matches are redundant, but it's up to you... some people just won't go in the woods without matches... all i know is you can soak a bic lighter for a long time, blow the water off it, and it works again after a few spins of the wheel... just make sure it's more than half full when you go out... after that, retire it.

depending on weather, you might dispense with the poncho and space blanket and just use an umbrella. a bit heavier, but in your (and my) area, the heat and humidity eliminates all benefit of a rainproof layer in summer... you won't die of hypothermia when it's 75 out at 2 in the morning, and you're soaked to the skin in your cotton shorts and t-shirt... you'll be soaked with either rain or sweat... i like umbrellas. keeps the pack dry too. (umbrella keeps the rain off most of the pack, but not all of it, so i use a big black garbage bag inside, but no cover.)
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I doubt I'll take the Nalgene out with me. Very cumbersome and I've got at least two other ways to measure fluid.

I'd like to replace the Thermarest with the BMW TorsoLite pad whenever they get back in stock, that should be nearly 10oz right there. As long as I have a decent pillow (the water wing works great), I can sleep on just about anything. So I'll see how much weight I can shave here, probably even check out the foam options.

I love the ULA packs, but as petty as it seems, I just can't stand the color. Forest Green just irks me for some reason. I'm still a younging at twenty two, so of course I've gotta look good! Ha, really they just don't fit my aesthetic. My other option was the Mariposa Plus - I may still give it a shot for the weight savings.

As for the poncho, it was a rain gear quick fix that revealed itself in Walmart one late night. Cheap and fairly light/durable, it is a bit better quality than the average dollar store version and it is large enough to cover my pack as well. Obviously breathability will be an issue, so I guess I just need to sweat it out and get rained on to see how much it sucks.

The matches and space blanket are a bit redundant, so I suppose those can get scratched.

Because of the climate down here, I went with the lightest double wall I could find. I was considering single walls (i.e. tarptent), but I was worried about condensation being an issue. Once I get some miles under my belt and a little less of a newbie, I'll probably look into a tarp as an option and learn to pitch it properly in different conditions. Until then, I might just try to shave down the weight of the SL1 as much as I can - carbon fiber poles, titanium stakes, etc.

All there is to do now, is actually get out on the trail. I can sit and speculate all day, but I need to actually get out there at some point. I'll be sure to post journals, pictures, whatever on here - it might be interesting to follow someone as they start out and gain experience.

Last edited by TimKling : 10-18-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKling
I was considering single walls (i.e. tarptent), but I was worried about condensation being an issue.

Check around to see what single-walls others in your area might be using. A properly pitched and ventilated single-wall does pretty well under most conditions. Also, you might ask yourself how much condensation you can tolerate. Those who rail the most against it often don't have that much first-hand experience. That said, I won't deny that weather in FL (and throughout the SE) poses more risk of condensation than drier climates.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 AM
Backpack: GG
Sleeping Gear: North Face Ibex
Shelter: HH Asyn

Living in SC my weather is similar to your. Try a hammock, I have a Hennessey and love it, gets me off the damp ground, use a foam pad and I use a quilt. Save alot of weight.