Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Nylon vs Polyester (First time tent buyer)

Gathering info for my first backpacking tent purchase. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I still am a little confused as to what is better- Nylon or Polyester?
I know that high quality silicone impregnated nylon(like Hilleberg) is superior to most tent materials.
But I have also heard these things about nylon: Stretches when wet(causing tent to sag), more succeptible to UV damage, absorbs moisture and "water weight"
I know that Polyester tends to be heavier and more succeptible to hydrolysis(PU coating flaking off) But are nylon tents also succeptible to hydrolysis? Is it mainly PU that is the culprit?

I will try to keep this fairly short:

My budget: 300/350

Criteria:
Season: 3.5/4 (solid inner mainly)
Freestanding
8 lbs max weight
Durable, and very rain/wind proof, plus Mt hood mountaineering capability would be nice.

These are some of the tents I'm considering:
Terra Nova Trisar 2 (Dark green older model)
Mountain Hardwear Tangent 2
Snugpak Scorpion 2p or 3p
NF Mountain 25(a little on the heavy and expensive side though)
Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2

Thanks again for any input!
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

I don't have experience with the exact tents on your list... maybe someone here does. But let's clarify... you say this is your first bp tent, are you sure you will be using it for winter mountaineering? Because if you will really be doing 3-season backpacking, you can save yourself a LOT of weight and expense.

8lbs is extremely heavy for a backpacking tent. For non-winter tents, I'd be thinking 3lbs and under for solo, around 3lbs-4lbs for 2 person.

If you haven't done backpacking, going on a winter mountaineering trip is a pretty ambitious (and maybe dangerous) step. If instead you're going to do at least one season of spring-autumn stuff, then perhaps you should get a tent for that.

I have found my all-mesh-upper tents are fine for nights in the 30s. It's the sleep pad and bag that keep you warm, not really the tent. (if there were a lot of wind, I might feel different. And of course they aren't made for snow loads).

As for the tents on your list. I own 3 Big Agnes tents. Copper Spur UL1, UL2, and Gore Pass. The Gore Pass is similar to the Lynx Pass. Really great tent for motor camping. Too heavy for backpacking. Lynx Pass is discontinued but sometimes they pop up for incredible prices. Still, you could save weight if you went with something with mesh walls.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the comment! You are completely right to be concerned about a lack of experience on Mt. Hood. I failed to mention that I have a few local climbing/backpacking friends who are very experienced, I would make sure to go with them!

I will be sure to check out some lighter weight options too!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM

Just a quick update: I just purchased the Mountain Hardwear tangent 2!
I set it up last night and I am very pleased with it so far.

It is fairly lightweight:5 lbs 15oz packed weight. Decent amount of space for two smallish people. It has a low profile, so it can handle the high winds I constantly seem to find myself in. Very strong, lots of guy points,truly a 4 season tent. You can shut up all the mesh except a little at the very top, so it will keep sand or snow out very well I hope.

One interesting feature of this tent is that it uses "trident corner" poles: the ends of the poles branch out in a v shape fashion, meaning there are twice as many points of contact then a usual tent. The MH marketing video shows a man doing push-ups on the corners of the tent, but I don't think I'm willing to risk that! The corners do seem to make the tent sturdier, excited to see how they do.

Thanks to Bad Wolf for the help, don't worry I won't go and hurt myself in the mountains! I do ski and climb a lot in the winter though, one of reasons I got a four season tent.

Can't wait to get out and use it a ton!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

SIX POUNDS isn't "lightweight" for a two-man tent !

3 -> 4 lbs, maybe..
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwalker

SIX POUNDS isn't "lightweight" for a two-man tent !

3 -> 4 lbs, maybe..

Yeah, but he'd have difficulty finding a 4-season mountaineering tent in the 3-4lb range, I think.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Six pounds is really freaking light for a 4 season, a true four season tent like the mountain hardwear tents. Their stuff is premium price and not the lightest but by god its good stuff.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Everyone is exactly right, the tent is NOT light weight compared to today's backpacking tents. I wanted a tent that I won't have to worry about weather in, and has tough durable materials. It is perfect for that, though I will have to save weight in some other areas if I take it on a long distance hike. Most backpacking tents that were not made of very ultralight materials were about 4 or 5 lbs, so I thought why not just get a bombproof one for a little bit more weight. Also weight is relative for me I guess, as my first trip out involved me packing a 9 POUND blue tarp! What a goofball!

On the other hand I do think I will find some sort of tarp/ground cloth/or ul tent that sets up with my trekking poles or ski poles for summer/lightweight trips. 5 lbs is a lot to carry when going fast and light. Thanks for everyone's help so far, learned a lot!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 AM

It's easy to become so obsessed with weight that it becomes a competition and it's no longer what it "should" be: Getting out in the wilds and enjoying yourself.

I carry a heavier-than-it-has-to-be backpack because it gives me peace-of-mind. It adds a couple of pounds of weight but it adds even more "joy."

I have an embarrassing array of equipment, as I've discovered that no one tent or pack can "do it all." I suspect you may end up coming to the same conclusion - so welcome to the world of gearheads

Lastly - don't always assume that "lightweight" equates with "fragile." My BA Copper Spur looks like it's made out of Suran wrap... but I've found it to be surprisingly strong. Using a Tyvek groundcloth, it's held up well. My 70lb husky can tromp around inside, I've carried the assembled tent through trees... It's not the ready-to-rip fabric it appears it might be.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Badwolf yes I've got a chance to handle some BA tents, very nice! One of the nicest tent brands out there. Might consider one for a lightweight option in the future.