Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Teton sports explorer 4000
Sleeping Gear: Teton sports trailhead
Shelter: Coleman Hoolagan

I have a H&R in .223 that would be a good option to have a folding stock fitted for backpacking. The H&R line has some interesting options for fitting to backpacking needs.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl
I have a H&R in .223 that would be a good option to have a folding stock fitted for backpacking. The H&R line has some interesting options for fitting to backpacking needs.
I've noticed that H&R has many interchangeable barrel options, and a .357 barrel option that I particularly like. I've hunted for aftermarket stocks for them, as the standard stock seems heavy according to the published specs (7 lb for a 22" barrel version with synthetic stocks). My TC, for example, only weighs 4.7 lb with a 21" barrel. The H&R can be had for under $300, where just a barrel for a TC runs about that for used, or $350 to $400 custom made.
What does your .223 weigh, and what is the barrel profile (length, muzzle diameter)?

Do you know of folding stock availability?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

To lift an idea from Marlin. Make your own.

The base rifle has a wood stock, a box magazine and the barreled action held to the stock with a single screw.

Remove the barreled action. Some hardware stores sell knurled head screws so find one of the approximate size of the action screw. You may have to either rethread the new screw or retap the action to the same thread.

For this type of rifle a shorter barrel is desirable. Cut the barrel to 16+", true and recrown. Install the front sight. If you are using a scope you may not need a front sight.

Measure the barreled action. Cut the forearm off so the stock is about the same length as the barreled action. Sand, stain and refinish the cut end neatly.

Make a lightly padded (1.4" closed-cell foam will do nicely) two-pocket case for the two components.

To assemble: drop the barreled action into the stock, screw down with the knurled-head screw and you are good to go.

Marlin used to sell a takedown .22WMR made using this method. I had one and it was a very good rifle.

You can use a synthetic stock but that complicates finishing off the cut end of the forearm

Cutting the barrel also cuts a fair amount of weight. If you are using a rimfire or other light-recoil caliber you can also trim some weight by hollowing the buttstock but don't go overboard on this.

Last edited by Ralph : 06-18-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Teton sports explorer 4000
Sleeping Gear: Teton sports trailhead
Shelter: Coleman Hoolagan

I found a couple of folding and collapsible stocks doing a search. I may have to look into this option a bit more. My current rifle has a large scope and a bull barrel so it is on the heavy side of things.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM

I just tripped across a recommendation for a KelTec Sub-2000 in a survival blog, which is a folding 9mm or .40 S&W carbine with 16" barrel that weighs only 4 lb. It folds up to 16" in length and takes various pistol magazines depending on the model you want. A great choice for sharing ammo (and clip!) with your 9 or 40 semi-auto pistol.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM

I just tripped across a recommendation for a KelTec Sub-2000, which is a folding 9mm or .40 S&W carbine with 16" barrel that weighs only 4 lb. It folds up to 16" in length and takes various pistol magazines depending on the model you want. A great choice for sharing ammo (and clip!) with your 9 or 40 semi-auto pistol.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

The Marlin Camp Rifle in 9mm or .45ACP also used the standard pistol magazines (the .45 version used 1911 mags. The Camp Rifle was also usable for the takedown method I described above.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl
I found a couple of folding and collapsible stocks doing a search. I may have to look into this option a bit more. My current rifle has a large scope and a bull barrel so it is on the heavy side of things.

see if you can get a gunsmith to flute your barrel while you're at it. cuts down on weight and enhances cooling(larger surface area), which means more shooting. always a plus while plinking.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

That's a stroke of genius. Expensive genius I'd guess, gunsmiths being what they are. But genius none the less.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

A standard 10/22 can serve the take-down role without a lot of work - if you have installed a pressure pad; the standard barrel band is not necessary on this rifle if it is equipped with a pressure pad.

Apply a strip of fiber tape to each side of the receiver; the tape will retain the trigger group pins and the bolt stop pin. It will also serve to, at least laterally, bed the action.

Replace the assembly screw with a folding-wing (hand) screw. These can be found if you look hard enough. I located mine at our local Ace Hardware store.

It is not as light as the purpose-built rifles out there but it is a good-enough approach for my purposes. Besides I don't have any more room in my gun cabinets (lockable, metal, you can't open them without a key) for another weapon anyway.

For small game harvesting my preference is the Crosman 1322 single-shot, .22 caliber pumper air pistol with removable stock - mainly because it is quiet. I am a big fan of airguns generally.

But every now and then I break down the old 10/22 and shove it in the bag.

As an aside, given that I wander around in northern California doper country I often pack a Kimber .45 Classic fueled with good old 230 grain hard ball. Sometimes being a gram weenie can get you killed.

And that's about 'nuff said about all that.

Ben