Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: DIY Hammock, Owyhee Top Quilt, New River Under Quilt
Shelter: Warbonnet Mamajamba Tarp

Gear List for up coming Hike

This is the gear list for my upcoming hike in April. Total weight without food and water is 18.83 lbs total without food and water, this includes the clothing that I'll be wearing. Pack weight minus the clothes that I'll be wearing is 14.72 without food and water. I've shed nearly 10 lbs of gear weight from my first section hike.

Clothing
- 3.6 lbs
1 - Hiking Shoes
2 - pair underwear
2 - Polyester Shirsts
3 - pair Hiking Socks
1 - knit cap
1 - poncho

Sleep System - 5.6 lbs
DIY Hennessy Clone
Tree Straps & CAMP Nano Biners
KAQ Owyhee Top Quilt
KAQ New River Under Quilt

Shelter - 1.7 lbs
Warbonnet Tarp w/ Door Kit
6 - Aluminum stakes

Hydration - 1.2 lbs
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
2 - Powerade Bottles

Cook Kit - 1.06 lbs
Fuel Bottle & Fuel
Spork
Cook Pot
Lighter
Food Re-hydration System
Alcohol Stove
Washcloth
Windscreen
Cozy

Toiletries - .3 lbs
Toilet Paper
Camp towel
toothbrush

Electronics - .38 lbs
Camera w/battery and memory card
3 - Micro SD Memory cards
3 - Camera batteries

Tools - 1.92 lbs
DIY First Aid Kit
Headlamp
Pocket Knife
Trail Guide - photocopied pages from trail giude

Pack & Stuff Sacks - 3.06 lbs
ULA Circuit Back Pack
Large Dry Bag - Bear Bag
Large Stuff Sack - Clothing Bag
Top Quilt Stuff Sack
Under Quilt Stuff Sack
Small Stuff Sack - Toiletries
Camera Bag
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

Good list, fishbait. I'd run with it. Though I'd likely add another lighter, an extra stake, a pair of lightweight gloves, a few tabs of water chems and some cordage (which you probably have in there somewhere, just thought I'd mention it).

Do you have the bug juice/sunscreen in the first aid kit?

By the way, how's that New River UQ working out? Been considering one of those for myself and would appreciate your views on it.

Have a great trip!

Ben
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

good list, all the bases look covered. i'll second carrying a spare lighter, or a little match pack. a blister pack of ClO2 weighs next to nothing, i might add.

i myself would use one of the t-shirts as a towel, especially if they're the quick drying type.

i note there's no explicitly listed emergency kit. will it be a set of worn items?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Shelter: Tarp

I would add a pair of pants and a jacket, for lounging around in the evenings and for first thing in the morning. I usually pack a full base layer, lightweight windshell type of pants and shirt, and a fleece/synthetic/down jacket. Some of these are worn, depending on the weather. Several polyester or merino wool base layer types of shirts under a wind shell can substitute for a separate jacket.

I'm assuming something like the above is already on your list but you forgot to add them in your post .
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaller
Good list, fishbait. I'd run with it. Though I'd likely add another lighter, an extra stake, a pair of lightweight gloves, a few tabs of water chems and some cordage (which you probably have in there somewhere, just thought I'd mention it).

Do you have the bug juice/sunscreen in the first aid kit?

By the way, how's that New River UQ working out? Been considering one of those for myself and would appreciate your views on it.

Have a great trip!

Ben

I soak everything in Permithrin. Suncreen is in the first aid kit. Never leave home without extra rope, definitely going to add the second lighter. I was thinking of switching out the filter for aquamira (weight consideration), but then I met another hiker who had gotten Giardia even though he used the chems. The quilt is great for a synthetic a bit heavy at nearly 2 lbs, I'm working on a DIY 3/4 Down Quilt as a replacement.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
good list, all the bases look covered. i'll second carrying a spare lighter, or a little match pack. a blister pack of ClO2 weighs next to nothing, i might add.

i myself would use one of the t-shirts as a towel, especially if they're the quick drying type.

i note there's no explicitly listed emergency kit. will it be a set of worn items?

Not sure what you mean by an emergency kit. If you mean a whistle, compass knife and emergency blanket then yes. The whistle and compass are the back back. I always carry 2 small knives (one in my pocket the other in the pack) Emergency blanket is in the first aid kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwads
I would add a pair of pants and a jacket, for lounging around in the evenings and for first thing in the morning. I usually pack a full base layer, lightweight windshell type of pants and shirt, and a fleece/synthetic/down jacket. Some of these are worn, depending on the weather. Several polyester or merino wool base layer types of shirts under a wind shell can substitute for a separate jacket.

I'm assuming something like the above is already on your list but you forgot to add them in your post .

Oops. Your right I left the thermals off the list. Still looking for a lighter weight jacket. The one I used last year Fleece with synthetic fill didn't pack down well.

Last edited by fishbait : 03-28-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbait
I soak everything in Permithrin. Suncreen is in the first aid kit. Never leave home without extra rope, definitely going to add the second lighter. I was thinking of switching out the filter for aquamira (weight consideration), but then I met another hiker who had gotten Giardia even though he used the chems. The quilt is great for a synthetic a bit heavy at nearly 2 lbs, I'm working on a DIY 3/4 Down Quilt as a replacement.

re: getting sick using chemical treatments - there are a lot of variables to that. not waiting long enough, using too little treatment for a volume of water(which means it takes longer or might not be effective), or even using the wrong kind. plenty of places sell old iodine for instance. some places sell treatments that are basically slightly dressed up iodine and are barely effective. he could have had dirty hands and self-contaminated(which oddly is the case much of the time with getting trail-trots). be wary of information from those who get sick on trail.

and remember that some makers sell both kinds of treatments. stick with actual aqua-mira and follow the instructions, and you're golden. granted waiting four hours can be rough.
that said, filters go a looooong way.

Last edited by dsuursoo : 03-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up

No problems with the basic equipment list ~ as long as you always include your "ten essentials" (including map and compass, hat and sunnies, sunscreen and insect repellant, water supply, knife and flashlight..) among your kit as a matter of course...

I also would be looking at adding a jacket and pants to the clothing list (and kept at the top inside of the pack, close to hand, so that you don't need to go looking when conditions change quickly..). And maybe a lightweight fleecy top, and a set of thermal underwear..

That's only a couple of pounds extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
re: getting sick using chemical treatments...

... be wary of information from those who get sick on trail.

Too true, dsuursoo !

Isn't it amazing how many times whenever there may be Crypto' or Giardia outbreaks, there's always those many more undiagnosed people who claim their unidentified gastric upsets at the time must have been caused by the very same parasites..

Especially considering that it takes a week or too for symptons of Crypto' infections to appear ~ and up to 5-6 weeks for Giardia (!) ~ I wouldn't believe anyone I met on the trail, who claims that they know where they got an infection from, nor even if it is what they claim !!!

Last edited by Bushwalker : 03-29-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwalker
I also would be looking at adding a jacket and pants to the clothing list (and kept at the top inside of the pack, close to hand, so that you don't need to go looking when conditions change quickly..). And maybe a lightweight fleecy top, and a set of thermal underwear..

That's only a couple of pounds extra.

Not that I'm a gram weenie, but a couple of pounds does make a difference

Still working on finding a better jacket. Really don't think a compass is need on the A.T. I found the trail map to be useless on the last hike, Awol's Trail Guide is much better. No if I was hiking the trails in Harriman State Park, the Maps and Compass are coming along.

My last hike my pack was upwards of 35 lbs. So here's the update list total weight 21.05 lbs of which 16 lbs will be in the pack

Clothing – 5.7 lbs
1 - Hiking Shoes
2 - Moisture Wicking Boxers
1 - Thermal Top
1 - Thermal Bottom
2 - Moisture Wicking Tees
1 - Woodland BDU Pants
3 - Hiking Socks
1 - Knit cap
1 - Poncho

Sleep System - 5.6 lbs
DIY Hennessy Clone