Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I carry park maps, as we mostly hike in state forests. I sometimes carry a compass (Military Issue Tritium). I will most likely leave the surefire at home as I bought the headlamp about a month ago. All I can say is that I can't see backpacking with a regular flashlight after experiencing a headlamp. The last 2 trips the surefire stayed in the pack.
Last trip I left the sleep system at home and just brought the poncho liner, Probably will do that down to 65 degrees. I hope to buy a top quilt before it gets too cold. I just ordered the super shelter from hennessey, so an underquilt will not be needed. My kids are bugging me about winter camping, so I guess I better start planning.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

old style poncho liner was one of the best pieces of equipment ever issued.

i guess i'm one of the few holdouts on handheld lights. i dig on headlamps but beyond close work involving hands, i really like having the light in one hand. i can't say why, exactly, but it's that way.

how much of the weight, would you say, px, is communal/packhorse weight? that is, is a portion of your load stuff that's used by more than just you.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
i guess i'm one of the few holdouts on handheld lights. i dig on headlamps but beyond close work involving hands, i really like having the light in one hand. i can't say why, exactly, but it's that way.
I too carry a flashlight, but in conjunction with a headlamp. I like a handheld light for this reason:

I want my headlamp to burn forever. In addition to camp chores and reading, if i ever had to hike at night, I want a headlamp to illuminate the immediate area I'm stepping through. A good regulated LED headlamp on low will do exactly that. Very few battery changes, especially with lithiums - it will last forever.

But that won't do for navigation. Need to see up the trail a few hundred feet to know where to hike to next. That's where the handheld comes in. I can shine it up the trail for seconds, so if it has a projected battery use time of a couple of hours, that will still last me a long time. I used a Pelican Stealthlight for years. Great light. I knew SAR people who made the same choice for the same reasons. Now I use a Fenix E21. Lighter, smaller, uses AA batts, and can see further (but not as well in fog).

(Not to mention that if you have 2 lights and the batts run out on one in the middle of the night, you can still see with the other light to change them...)

Forgive me, pxranger, for adding to your burden (I'm typically no light-weighter either), but if you were to add to your gear, I'd get a regulated LED headlamp to supplement the handheld.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

As far as communal weight, i would have to weigh it but these are the items used by others; Katadyn Pocket, Water, MSR Dragonfly, First Aid Kit, And my repair kit. I didnt list it but in my repair kit I also have some 550, shock cord, and various lengths of accessory cord for repairs.