Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_backpacker
If anybody want's a better close up, let me know - I can snap a shot with a ruler in the image so you can measure you own reel to see if you think it will fit.
Yeah, that would be great! I'd love to be able to use the reel that I already have...not that I'm a cheapskate or anything.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Backpack: SMD Comet
Sleeping Gear: WM Ultralight/KookaBay custom insulated air pad
Shelter: Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

Mtn Backpacker: How much does that Cabela's rod and reel you have weigh? The one you list is in my size and price range, but of course they don't list the weight of the gear! I prefer a fly rod to spin-casting.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I haven't fished in many years, but I must say that's a fascinating setup. I'll stay tuned to find out whether it can land some backcountry lunkers.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Grannyhiker - the Cabella's rod and reel I mentioned above are 9.5 ounces combined (spooled full of fly line) for the 7.5' long one.

hoosierdaddy - below is a picture of the mount for the reel on the pen rod. I'd say the longest reel base that could fit would be 2.25" long. I'll caution you though, I grabbed a little shakespere UL reel I have for a different rod, and while the length of the base was okay, it wouldn't fit - not even close. The base was too thick and wide to fit into the little slots. You would have to heavily grind the base to make it fit, and then it wouldn't fit in anything else.

Something to think about - shipping is $9.50 on the rod, or the rod plus the reel. So you'll spend $28.45 for both with shipping, or $21.45 for the rod alone with shipping. You're only paying $7 for the reel. If you end up getting the reel later anyway, you'll end up paying a little more for it, plus shipping, so it'll cost you $18.99, which would mean you spent $40.44 total on it, which it's probably not worth. That's why I just got both up front.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Here are some pics and details about my rod/reel. The reel is a Shakespeare UltraLite 2500 ULX and the rod is a Shakespeare SPT46. Extended, it's 55" long. Compacted, it's 13" long. It weighs 7.780oz with 8lb test line, a couple sinkers, and a small hook.

I honestly haven't used it a whole lot since I got it many years ago. I think I'm going to pack it along on my Mammoth Cave NP trip, however (no fishing licenses required) to see how it fares on the trail.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Nate - that combo is nice and light (roughly the same as mine), and probably more versatile with the extra length when extended. It's definitely a good option, although you'd have to be a little more careful with the eyes in your pack.

I spooled up my little one with 4# line and did a few test casts behind my house for yard bass (got skunked). It seems to work well, though having a fish on the other end will be the reel (lame pun intended) test.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I've carried an ultalight set up for years. Never keep the fish always catch and release. Fishing back county lakes and rivers is one of the main attractions of backpacking for me. I would love to give fly fishing a try sometime.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM

I think I may have found the worlds smallest/lightest tackle box (not counting foam fly boxes). Each compartment weighs .3 ounces, and it's modular so I can clip the compartments together. I used 3 compartments, so the total for the box is a little under an ounce. I'm not sure where you get them since I found them in the bottom of my wife's tackle box.

As you can see in the pic below, I have a bobber, some floats, some weights, hooks, spinners, spoons, a jig and a really small rapala. I'm sure I'll add and subtract things later, but this is a good start.

All of the tackle below with the 3 compartments adds up to only 2.5 ounces, which is just over 1/2 of what I was expecting, so that's great. Only 9.5 ounces for the complete fishing setup. I'll probably add a few fly's, but they don't really weigh anything anyway.

A lot (most) of the hiking trails in MN go past lakes with fish, so this will be coming on a bunch of our backpacking trips this summer. No, I won't be catching any record fish with this setup, but dinner isn't out of the question. That would certainly be a nice break to the re-hydrated freezer-bag food we normally eat.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

I like that tackle box. It looks like a modular pill box for prescriptions. Might find it at the local drug store?
p.s. when you cook fresh trout, use original Pringles as batter
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 04-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_in_FHAZ
I like that tackle box. It looks like a modular pill box for prescriptions. Might find it at the local drug store?

I just looked at the bottom and they are each stamped with the Rapala brand, so you'd be more likely to find them at a fishing store - if they still make them. For all I know they are 20 years old - she got most of her fishing stuff from her dad.