Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

View Poll Results: Which alcohol fuel option do you most prefer?
HEET (Yellow Bottle) 7 41.18%
Grain Alcohol (Everclear) 3 17.65%
Air Brake Anti-Freeze 0 0%
Denatured Alcohol 5 29.41%
Gelled Alcohol 0 0%
Isopropyl Alcohol (e.g. 99%) 1 5.88%
Other (I'll explain in thread) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

Everclear, SLX, Heet - in that order, not often SLX or Heet, though I do have a couple of gallons of SLX out in the fuel shed.

Reason for grain alcohol is that I finally got to the point where I understood that the cost of Everclear is trivial compared to the larger eco-costs associated with other fuel products and, bonus, it really is multi-use. Not on a mission here, had to put my money where mouth is and so forth.

The SLX is for emergency use and I will continue to always have a couple of gallons on hand; same goes for white gas and kerosene.

Ben
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaller
Reason for grain alcohol is that... ...I understood that the cost of Everclear is trivial compared to the larger eco-costs associated with other fuel products and, bonus, it really is multi-use.

Ben
When I started reading this thread, I'll admit I thought Everclear a surprising choice for stove fuel, largely due to cost. With the others weighing in on its practicality, and now your observation about eco-costs, you all may yet make me re-think the yellow Heet thing.