Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Wilderness Photography
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Wilderness Photography The Wilderness Photography forum is for the discussion of photography (videography) gear, experience, and technique as it directly relates to wilderness photography. PBF members may also post self-owned photos that have been uploaded to the PB Gallery or as post attachments. Offsite links and offsite photos are prohibited. Please see ("sticky") instructional post located at top of threads.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Tripods

Do you use a tripod on your backpacking trips? If so, what kind do you use?

For those who aren't aware of these models, here are few that are among the most popular lightweight (mini) tripods for backpackers to carry:

Joby Gorillapod (1.6 ounces)

UltraPod (2 ounces) [This item is also branded by various companies - e.g. REI.]

Sunpak Mini-Spider Tripod (3.2 ounces)

Tripods come in handy for self and self-included group photos.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I use a Canon Mini-Tripod 7, 88g (3.1 oz). It might actually be an earlier version of the current product. The legs extend to almost twice the pictured length.

I'm pretty lazy about using it, though. I like to keep moving, and taking an extra minute to set up a tripod doesn't often seem worthwhile. Therefore I get some blurry pictures, because setting down my pack doesn't seem worthwhile either. I snap pics while bent over, twisted, and wobbly, probably with the wrong settings.

Last edited by big_load : 07-19-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_load
I use a Canon Mini-Tripod 7, 88g (3.1 oz).

That's another good option. I've been using one the Ultrapod's. And I have something I made years ago for the bottom of a hiking stick (that I call the StikPod™) - which is now best attached to a trekking pole (which I didn't use at that time).

I mostly use it for self-portraits (when I'm solo), photos with me and another person (using self-timer), and for low-light/dusk shots (though rarely).

Reality
Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

I have an Ultrapod. It's not branded by anyone else...just Ultrapod. I like it, and have even strapped it to tree branches to take photos on myself while on solo mountain bikes with the timer function on the camera.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Backpack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus
Sleeping Gear: Homemade down quilt
Shelter: Tarp

Joby

I plan on purchasing the Joby here soon and taking it on a BP trip on the first weekend in August. I use a 4 oz. Casio EX-500S so I think the Joby will be perfect for me.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I had the mini spider model but the legs were just to "springy" to get it stable easily.

I now use a Quantaray tripod and just love it. The legs are telescoping so you can set it on uneven surfaces or hills and still get it relatively level. It's even sturdy enough to use with my SLR but I use it with my digitals on trails. Doesn't weigh squat, but I don't have a scale. Folds so flat and compact I can put it in a shirt pocket and forget it's there.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 07-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

When I'm going for photos, I usually carry a full size tripod with a quick release platform that attaches to my camera. It's an old Cullman, not sold anymore, and I'm looking at some of the newer carbon fiber models that are very light for their size. I frequently do macro stuff, so it has to have the feature of being able to spread out to ground level. In camp, It's my light stand.

I never found those mini pods to be worth anything, I never could seem to find a tree or rock in the perfect place/height to capture the image I was imagining. Having a regular 'pod is kind of a pain sometimes, but the pictures are worth it.
Also fun to watch the ultra-light guys snicker when they pass me on the trail.

I always carry a monopod/hiking staff. It's a walking stick with a removable grip that has a threaded stud underneath. Nice compromise for a small digital camera, and I can compose where I want, at what height I want.

One great thing about having any kind of tripod/ camera support is the discipline of setting it up & composing the picture. It forces you to pay attention to the composition.
It also makes me stop and take in the scenery.
I think that's why I hike anyway
Old 07-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I've used the ultrapod for many, many years. I can't even remember when I first got it. It has held up great and I use the velcro strip A LOT to attach my camera to branches. Its small enough that I usually just leave it on my camera.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have a Manfrotto tripod with a quick release ballhead. I love the thing but it weighs about 17lb. I really need to get a smaller lighter one but I need something that will hold and support probably 15lb.

Last edited by Piercey : 07-20-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Years ago I bought a Slik 500G (500 grams). I like it because it has quick release legs and goes to almost 4 feet high. I then modified it a bit by taking the regular head off and bolting a lightweight ball head on for quick, easy set up. I also attached a hook on the center pole so I could hang a stuff sack full of rocks to it to give it added stability in windy conditions. I've been using this for almost 20 years now. When it's not in my backpack it's in my truck ready to use.