Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills The Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to ancient and/or primitive style bushcraft/wilderness skills (e.g. firecraft, foraging, natural material construction, modern/primitive tools, long-term wilderness survival,...).

Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwalker

An Axe: If I had a base camp, I would prefer an axe around 3lb (+handle) or less, with a middling sized handle, over a hatchet. I have my eye on a nice Fiskars brand axe in the local hardware store here, that I reckon would go nicely kept in the back of my SUV. If I needed something lighter they also had a nice little survival hatchet, under 12" long, just over 2 lb.

And a Saw: A fixed saw like a Bowsaw for a basecamp; while a lighter folding saw would be the go if moving around...

Well, I got around to actually purchasing the Fiskars 'half size' axe last week ~ it's their "X15" chopping model, made in Finland (some of their more "cheaper" lines of tools are now being manufactured in China..), with a 599 mm/23.5" composite handle (nylon-fibreglass..), and an all up weight of 1520 grams (just over 3.3 pounds ~ so the head is probably somewhere ~2.5 lbs, or a little more?).

First impressions is that it feels comfortable and well balanced to hold in one hand. Now I will just have to see how it stands up to a bit of "real world" abuse - especially how the composite handle lasts..

Stay tuned for a follow up, maybe in a year or two.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 65
Sleeping Gear: Nunatak Alpinist 20
Shelter: 8 X 10 siltarp, or Lunar Solo, depending on conditions.

I've done lots of firebuilding without ever touching an axe or saw. Of course, that's in more primitive areas where there is a variety of nice, dry deadfall. I can always start a fire and keep it going without having to split wood.

That being said, I prefer the Sven saw type saws to those other ones.

Looking at the Bahco and Hunters Specialties, I just think "No way would I want to saw limbs with that." It looks like a tool for installing drywall.