Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

This is a good thread because i'm in the market for a good cup/mug
I want to use it double as a bowl for morning oatmeal or if we make rice, etc
Should I go plastic or metal? Do the folding cups really work?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelay
This is a good thread because i'm in the market for a good cup/mug
I want to use it double as a bowl for morning oatmeal or if we make rice, etc
Should I go plastic or metal? Do the folding cups really work?

Starting with your last question, my old tin folding cup is too leaky to even allow boiling water. It's a well-made one and in near-pristine shape, too, so I wouldn't go that route. It's only for drinking.

All my camping and trekking life I've use a tin Coke (or Pepsi) can as a drinking cup, for boiling water, and for cooking. If I'm cooking a whole meal--say a mess of wild mallow--I have a little trick. When the first batch is done I set it aside to cool in a shirt-pocket sized nylon sleeve and go back to boiling up the second batch. You can just lean the nylon sleeve against the nearest rock and let it cool.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Granite Gear
Sleeping Gear: MEC Raptor
Shelter: Eureka!

I use an insulated stainless steel mug. It probably isn't all that ultra-light but I like the feel of it on my mouth. Next time I have it out I'll put it on the scale.

Here is a photo...

Not sure why I photographed it... lol.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I use a snow peak 700 for boiling water for FBC and heating water for coffee/tea/hot chocolate. I also carry the plastic cup from an old boy scout cook kit to drink hot beverages out of. I don't like to make hot chocolate or coffee in the snow peak, it always seems to make the next meal taste of chocolate (probably mostly in my head, I clean it out well and it is titanium, after all...) so the little cup comes in handy, and it has mesurements on the inside like the snow peak. I also cut off the handle of the scout kit cup and drilled a hole in the stub for a string and to make it fit in the snow peak mug. My coors light can stove sits nicely inside both of them, in a small bandana that keeps the silt out of my bottle when I dip water/wipes roof of tent/etc. The snow peak also holds my fuel bottle in a plastic bag, windscreen, drink mixes, lighter, spare camera batteries/memory card, spare water purification tabs and a couple of granola bars for a nice tight package. If you are looking for a cooking cup for one person, I like it a lot.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Mugging It Up In Nc

A couple years back I bought a cheap set of plastic mugs that nest for a car camping trip. Six mugs for a buck! I think they were from the Dollar Store. Each in a different color so I can avoid accidentally drinking from the mug of the guy with the sore on his lip. Inverted the mug fits perfectly onto the top of my Hini cook pot leaving head room for the other things stored inside --alci stove, small Bic lighter, laxan spoon, 8 oz soda bottle of fuel. A windscreen made from a clothes dryer vent sleeve is wrapped around the outside of the pot and secured with a rubber band. I cut the handle off the mug so it won't snag on the stuff sack (a used tortilla bag + bread tie) to the cook set.

Last edited by tonto : 06-20-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 AM

Firelite 475mL Trapper Mug
Weight 1.3 ounces
Dimensions 3.75H x 3.25 Dia.
Titanium

This has been the only mug I've carried for 3 season use. My full kitchen fits right in the mug (MoGo Firefly Alchy stove, Ti foil reflector & WS, homemade wire pot stand, Mini zip loc w/matches, Firelite folding Ti spork). Topped of with Ti foil lid & held together with 2 rubber bands. Pictures posted under my profile.

This gives me enough water in a single boil for freezer bag cooking (oatmeal or ramen noodles) & a cup of tea with the water left in the mug.

I just purchased:
Firelite 550mL SUL mug/pot?
Weight 2.19 ounces
Dimensions 3H x 3.75 Dia.
Titanium

This mug has a real lid & a bit more volume but I haven't tried it yet.
Barnett
Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I just grabbed an IMUSA 10 cm mug when I saw them a few weeks ago, it was so cheap, I grabbed the 12cm one too. I used the 10cm two weekends ago on an overnight walk on the coosa backcountry trail. I nested a 2 cup ziploc screw top container inside it because I like a cup and a bowl for my breakfast of coffee and grits with bacon.

It was a good solution for my rehydrate type of cooking, it worked well with my StarLyte alcohol stove, and would work with a small side jet stove because it's relatively wide. The drawback for me is that it's a little short. I can't really keep my fuel bottle in it, though it does fit the stove, a lighter, the ziplock 2 cup bowl, my ziplock small container coffee basket and a couple of filters.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Quilt
Shelter: BA Copper Spur UL2 or WBBB Hammock

Orikaso Folding Mug - 1.9oz
Sea to Summit Pop-up X-Mug 2.7 oz

I love both of these things and they take up no space.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Funny, I have never used anything but my old army kidney mug that came with the Australian army ( copy of U.S.) water bottle.

Had the same water-bottle and mug since 1974, been thru quite a few carriers in that time tho.

I don't mind the weight, I justify as being an integral part of my survival kit but really it is for sentimental reasons, you can take the boy out of the army but never take the army out of the boy