Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaller
For small game harvesting my preference is the Crosman 1322 single-shot, .22 caliber pumper air pistol with removable stock - mainly because it is quiet. I am a big fan of airguns generally.

Ben

i've been looking long and hard at various air-rifles, and crossmans with the add-on stock is really attractive. reasonable weight, next to no recoil, QUIET, and from what i hear reasonably accurate to boot.

the bugout kit they offer seems like a decent deal, too, especially for a fast-takedown packable gun.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

I just searched for that kit and agree that it is a good deal. The stuff that comprises the "kit" is likely just so much junk but the price listed is less than buying the pistol and stock separately as far as I can tell.

I modified mine a little - 16" barrel (from Crosman, cut down and re-crowned by me), dressed up the sear, installed the steel breech, mounted a 32 mm scope, opened up and radiused the gas port - the usual stuff anybody can do at home with simple tools. This is not rocket surgery after all. And the power went up about 15%, which improves this thing's usability factor.

Pretty useful tool.

Ben
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

part of the attraction of the bug-out kit's carbine is the caliber - for me the .177s don't cut it - and the longer barrel. greater sight radius, more power, etc.

though i'm really falling for some of the PCP guns crosman offers... some of those are really slick. a customized carbine would run under $140, but it's CO2 powered.

the marauder PCP would be quite nice though for something to take along as a 'forage/plinking gun'.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
part of the attraction of the bug-out kit's carbine is the caliber - for me the .177s don't cut it - and the longer barrel. greater sight radius, more power, etc.

though i'm really falling for some of the PCP guns crosman offers... some of those are really slick. a customized carbine would run under $140, but it's CO2 powered.

the marauder PCP would be quite nice though for something to take along as a 'forage/plinking gun'.

A pumper has its merits, among them that it is self-contained requiring nothing but muscle. PCP's are great but they come with the requirement for a lot of other "stuff" - pumps, adapters, and so forth - and CO2's obviously have the issue of low to no pressure at temps below 60 degrees.

A pumper in .22 is well-suited to taking small game at very close range, reasonably quietly. Head-shots are required but the inherent accuracy of the system and the fact that it produces no recoil both help make proper shot placement at close range possible.

Certainly a rimfire is more effective and much more versatile, but it still requires chemical propulsion and it is a firearm under the law and that limits its use/carry in many locales.

The Crosman 1389/1322 is a purpose-built tool that can be very effective when used appropriately by the skilled marksman. It should be considered carefully by those evaluating power-projecting tools in the backcountry.

Ben