Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Trailwise External-Frame with various bags
Sleeping Gear: Down-filled Quilts
Shelter: Tarp

Just looking at the Tenkara rod reminds me of the 12-ft telescoping Crappie rod I brought from Grizzly Jig for about $15 - $20. It is a bit heavier.

My time-tested BP fishing rig is:
Eagle Claw 7.5' 4-pc. flyrod -- 2.5 oz.
Zebco UL-4 Underspin reel -- 4.0 oz.
30' coil of floating flyline to clip to mono in UL-4 -- when fighting Trout, mono becomes backing as needed, when flyline is reeled back in to the reel nose, I fight fish by hand. Mano-a-Pisces, or whichever. Don't step in the line loops!
Box of flies -- 4 to 6 oz.
Box of spinners & spoons -- 6 to 8 oz.
three clear bubble floats that are water-fillable -- so I can fish a fly behind a bubble from the UL-4.
Several bait hooks
A few split shot and bell-sinkers
a snack baggie of Power-Bait Rainbow Sparkle pellets -- not human snacks, though!
Total rig = 1.5 to 1.75 pounds -- sometimes I throw in some extras
Largest high-lake Cutthroat Trout landed to date weighed 7 pounds cleaned when I got home.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

For simple, try Cabela's carbon telescopic panfish rod. It telescopes into its own handle - about 3/4" x 16" collapsed. Add about 10' of line, bobber, hook and sinker and your good to go. Weighs justa few ounces.

Tenkara is an interesting system from Japan. Much lighter, more compact and simpler than conventional fly rigs.

The pen rods are also very light and compact. These can be used as jigging rods or spin or fly rods with the appropriate reel. Note, regular reels will NOT fit onto the pen rods, the reel seat is too small. You have to use reels specially made for these rods.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I am an avid fly fisherman and I recently bought a Fleuger Medalist that breaks down into 3 separate pieces so I can stow it on the side pouch of my pack. Great rod and reel that I would recommend to anyone and one that also is lightweight and can stand up to fish as large as 18 pounds.