Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Gear list and need help on backpack size

My usual back pack is old REI Cima 80 {6.5lbs} It normally would weigh in the 45-50lb range. Way to much for me now. I made up a light weight gear list that brings my base weight to 23lbs with fly fishing gear. Most of the items on the list I own and some I need to buy. For a new pack I am torn between a ULA Catalyst or Circuit. How do I figure out the volume of my stuff so I will know what size pack I will need?

Here is a on going gear list. Some items might change, some will stay.

snow peak litemax 56
snow peak fuel 183
snow peak ti fork/spoon 38
windscreen 44
ti fry pan 120
snow peak 24 oz pot 106
msr coffee filter 28
sruff sacks 19
first aid 201
compass 64
fly gear 466
fly rod 496
tooth paste 30
tooth brush 9
BA chair 177
patigonia base shirt 232
hot chili pants 227
fox socks, 3 pair 261
orvis shirt 274
ua briefs x3 240
beenie 40
mountbell ul down 177
mountbell rain 358
columbia rain pant 354
jungle juice 64
ba sleeping pad 650
wm sleeping bag 623
pillow 212
smd lunar solo 768
ula pack 1332
wading boots 1423
waders 822
towels 72
bic lighter 21
matches 14
kitchenn stuff sack/ full 207
Platty water bottles/bladders 61

Total 10469grams/ 23lb,1oz
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I'd order both and send one back. You're out a little bit of shipping money but then you'd know you got the right pack.

I know that doesn't answer your question about how to figure out volume, but there are other variables that come into play. What's the longest and coldest trip you will be planning, what's the most volume you will be carrying, will you be changing out other gear in future, etc. Would you like to do longer trips in the future? How do you like to pack? Are you someone who just stuffs and needs a little bigger pack or are you someone who is meticulous and spends time packing things down into their tiniest configuration?

I bought a Conduit that fit my stuff, but it was tight. But I was proud I was getting light enough to fit a Conduit. Right after that I discovered hammocks and needed to go to a larger pack because the volume of my stuff increased.

Last edited by tracyn : 01-22-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I'll be getting a new pack this year, and haven't decided what to get. I was thinking in the 50L range, and the salesperson acted like I would be a guru if I could fit a week in a 50L pack. Most of my stuff is sitting in a cardboard box, just to keep it together & organized, and it almost completely fits (minus food & water).

While it isn't perfect, it is easy to compute volume (length * width * height). Put stuff in the box. If you have leftover room, use foam peanuts to make up the difference, then use a smaller box to compute their volume.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Good points, thank you. From searches I have determined the Cataylist is almost as big as my 80L pack. My new lighter gear would swim in my old pack. Once I got rid of the 6lb TNF tent, Denalli jacket, 3 layer, lined goretex and went to the small Snowpeak, insted of the large pots I had, the size of the space I need is much smaller. My stuff was very bulky.

I will try the box idea and see what it measures out to be. If I do go in the winter and use my heavy, bulky tent and more clothes I can just use my old pack. And the rest of the time use the lighter one.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Interesting question: repackage everything... ?

Then, pack as you intend to carry the items: stuff sack, or not.

Then, load it all in a large plastic sack. Note the "fill level".

Empty, and fill to the "fill level" with water, for example, using a liter measure. Then, count the liters, you add, to reach the "fill level".