Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Quilts and Nylon

Any suggestions on quilt dimensions? I will be making one, but I am not sure of the dimensions. I am 6'6" so I was planing on making it 90" long but the width I am not sure of, I was thinking 54" wide, but many of the things I am finding for pack backing quilts usually have a tapered edges. Also are foot boxes worth the trouble? I am also thinking about sewing in some loops so that I could fold it in half and lace it up with some cording and use like a sleeping bag, any body e NOTE: The remainder of this post can be read by logging in. For free PBF membership click here
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

untreated nylon is like a lot of other types of cloth, in that if you set it with a slope, and keep NOTE: The remainder of this post can be read by logging in. For free PBF membership click here
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Most people just use the full width of the fabric they buy. NOTE: The remainder of this post can be read by logging in. For free PBF membership click here
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Got the quilt done today. Finished dimensions are about 53' x 88'. Weighs in at 3lbs 8oz. I used NOTE: The remainder of this post can be read by logging in. For free PBF membership click here