Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Trailhead > The Trailhead - General Backpacking Discussion
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

The Trailhead - General Backpacking Discussion The Trailhead General Discussion forum is for backpackers to discuss non-gear related wilderness backpacking issues (e.g. technique, LNT, hiking partner wanted, trip planning...) that are not covered in other PB forums.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

White Mountain National Forest

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the correct section to post this. My friends and I have been hiking before, but we have our first overnight backpacking trip in June. We are planning on staying 2 nights in the wilderness. I bought AMC's White Mountain guide, and all the information in there is kind of overwhelming. I am looking for a hike with moderate difficulty, good views, and areas we could easily set up a camp (3 people). I'd prefer less busy areas, as we like to get away from other people when we camp.

For the people that camp outside of the established shelter areas, how do you go about picking a spot? Do you just get off the trail for the required 200 feet and find flat ground?

Thanks for the help!
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Hey From A Yankee In Dixie

Hey, from Blue Heaven...Chapel Hill, NC...the Southern side of Heaven.

I see this is your first post.
Ain't it just like a Yankee to start talking business without any introductions.
Don't get my meaning wrong though I'm a transplanted Cape Cod Yankee from Orleans myself.
I've been down here for 17 years now and learned the hard way about Southern social etiquette.
Be interested in knowin' what part of the "land of the small trees" you'all are from.
Can't help you much on the Whites except what I heard from two NH
carpenters I was framing a house with in ME many moons ago.
They were both hikers and said the best place for hiking in all of NH was near the Kanamagus Highway (NH 112) between Lincoln & Conway.
You might also consider doing the Mid-State Trail or the AT both in MA.
Check it out.
Sponsored links