Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Hey Beanie...

Let me say a little more about this.

I should have pointed out that the rack breaks down for flat packing. Another feature of the rack is the long bolt at one corner...that's for pulling it out after the muffin is done. It's difficult to get your fingers safely in there to pull just the muffin out.

When I first began muffins, I used the water method. The gloop was contained in a bagel-shaped silicone thingie. In the center, which is like a dry island in the middle of the gloop, I attached a nylon screw, which served as a safe handle to pull it out. For some unknown reason, I've not gotten around to using that in the dry oven.

The screw was attached as follows. Drill a hole in the island. Poke the screw through, with the head of the screw underneath and secure it with a nylon nut at the top of the island, so that the non-head end of the screw is the handle via which the whole thing is lifted. In retrospect, I guess the nut is probly not required if the hole is small enough.

During the winter of 2012-2013, we made lots of breakfast muffins. We found the browning to be much more yummy when the baking was shut down at boiling temperature or 1 degree F above it. Remember to take elevation into account (-1 degree per +500 ft) or bring some water to a full boil and read the thermometer.

Also, when I posted the stuff on the parchment paper muffin pan, I forgot to include a couple of important dimensions. If anyone is interested, I'll fix that.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 AM

Hi Wilder
That makes it a lot clearer.
I like the sound of your silicon bagel pan, I've not seen any of those over here yet but I guess I will have to keep a sharp eye out for one. I currently use the pan handle from a SVEA 123, its a flat strip of aluminum with a 90 deg bend at the end, I can just get it under the muffin case and hook it out. But its a bit of a faff!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Beanie...

I know that Svea pan. The Svea was my favorite stove for 15 years or so. Then I tried isobp, and stuck with that for another 15 years, but then had a problem that led me to diy alcohol stoves. During initial alky experiments, the Svea pot was my main "test tube". I sometimes regret that the pot doesn't quite fit my current gear mix.

And thanks for teaching me the new word "faff". I can't wait til I get the chance to use it in a conversation.

Here's one of the muffins from last winter. The black spot near the middle is the hole from the thermometer probe.

Apache Lake Muffin 01 1129.jpg