Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Hi there
I just grab a handful of pine needles, boil it up and voilà a really refreshing drink... full of vitamin C.
Cheers
Gareth
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I get mine from a local Chinese market. It comes in 150 gram tins and is loose whole tea. Specifically Tikuanyin Chinese Oolong, the Iron Goddess of Mercy is what goes in my pack and the same is used at home. I believe the brand is Whole Dragon but with all the Chinese characters on the tin it is hard to know for sure.

It is a fine, flavorful, thirst quenching tea that has some properties of green tea and some of black tea. We just sprinkle a few grams into the boiling pot of water and let it sit, pour into our double wall mugs when ready and sit back and savor. We drink it for both breakfast and lunch. A spot of herbal peppermint tea under the stars before bed is another backpacking ritual.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethw
Hi there
I just grab a handful of pine needles, boil it up and voilà a really refreshing drink... full of vitamin C.
Cheers
Gareth

On the natural side, sasaffras grows quite wild (at least east of the Mississippi) and is easily gathered. It has a very robust root system and often sprouts many small plants very far from the original source tree which can be very large. Easy to recognize by the leaves which are oval, mitten shaped or hand shaped (3 fingers). Pull up a small plant, wash the root, break the root only into a few pieces and steep in boiling water.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

One of the first things I do when setting up camp (and before it gets dark) is to look around for herbs for making tea. In the deserts where I usually go there are many varieties of fragrant herbs, fragrant because of the volatile oils in them. My favorite is wild thyme and after that achilea (which possibly grows in the U.S.) and several varieties of mint.The wild thyme has a unique and exquisite flavor like a mix of mint, menthol, vanilla, and something else that's inexpressible!

There's wild lavender too but, since it's flavor is like chicken soup (!) I make soup out of it. A few leaves of saltbush improve the soup coz they add both salt and an oil.

A point of interest is that the volatiles in these plants help them by cooling the leaves and repelling insects.

In a pinch--and this would be in early spring--I make tea from either young clover or even freshly-sprouted grass. The clover's flavor is delicate and sweet.

When using herbs it's best to let the water cool a bit after boil, then add the herbs. You're technically not making tea but rather an infusion.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

I like a nice black tea. Light to carry, easy to prep. Perks you up nicely without being quite so rude at it like coffee can be.

I switch between loose leaf in a bulb and bags. Bags are nice as you can make your tea in proper fashion (the British way), though without all the creature comforts and accoutrements (milk is notoriously hard to transport in the wild), but one does manage.

Carrying along leaves or bags, both are easy to deal with once used. Leaves can be easily tossed amongst the debris off trail and decompose as readily as any other duff on the forest floor. Bags are not so swift to break down but are not eternal. However both are easy to pack out, being both minimal in bulk and weight. Squeeze both before packing away(but good heavens, don't squeeze them out into the tea! Tannins are harsh.) And you'll have an essentially weight neutral experience.

For brands dragon water tea makes a lovely loose leaf earl Greg that is simply spectacular. In bags I waffle endlessly between twining and Bigelow earl grey.