Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Internet while backpacking American Discovery Trail

Hey everyone,
I know this probably isn't too common for backpacking, but I'm looking for a way to stay connected throughout my walk through the American Discovery Trail. I'm going to be documenting my trip through blogs and video, and need a way to send out daily updates. Does anyone have any experience with getting internet in rural areas? Most of the East coast seems to be well connected as far as data coverage is concerned, but I'm worried about states like Nevada and Utah where it doesn't seem to be so great. I was considering just using my phone as a mobile hotspot for my mini laptop, but the data coverage concerns me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Remotely Connected

When I was out on the AT the year before there where a lot of people using mobile devices.
I saw quite a few Androids but most where using Iphone including myself.
It was odd to be in a shelter and see most of the people glued to there phones scanning the net.
Usually, the first question asked after "where's the water" was "is there service here".

I noticed that those on ATT where having trouble getting service.
I also noticed that those on Verizon, including myself, usually had respectable service even in the most remote places.
Service was usually the best on high ground or near larger cities.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto
I noticed that those on ATT where having trouble getting service. I also noticed that those on Verizon, including myself, usually had respectable service even in the most remote places.
Service was usually the best on high ground or near larger cities.

Oh okay that's good news. I have Verizon. I'm just worried about some of the Western states where their coverage (according to their map) isn't very good.