Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Gear Rooms / Gear Storage

Can't post pics now... but Dusty's gear room pic got me thinkin - what's your take on gear storage? Do you have a gear room? Is it neatly organized? Do you have enough gear to fill a room... or just a couple bins?

I'll try to post pics later... but I converted half of the walls in my basement storage area into gear storage. Fortunately, it's a) a small room and b) doesn't end up looking too abnormal due to built-in cabinets and the use of a dresser. I do get a constant amount of crap from friends, though, about how much gear I have... they just don't understand
Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

No one gear storage space

I live in a 750sf apartment so space is limited and I have no dedicated gear storage location.
- Sleeping pads are unrolled with valves open under the couch
- Sleeping bags are lofted in large laundry-style bags on the top shelf of the bedroom closet
- Tents are stuffed loosely in pillow cases also on the bedroom closet top shelf
- Packs are on a shelf above the water heater (hanging and away from the water heater would be better)
- Hydration bladders are hanging and propped open to air out with coat hangers bent for the purpose also above the water heater
- Gaiters are hanging beside the bladders
- Boots are beside the front door
- Hiking poles are dismantled and standing in the hall closet
- Clothes are with the rest of our clothes
- Everything else takes up a shelf in the linen closet
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I have a small condo so I can relate to lack of room.

I like to have easy access to most of my "essential" gear so I keep it in the closet under the stairs in a laundry basket. Th gear gets rotated out with ski gear (sans skis, boots, poles) during winter season. Sleeping bags are treated with TLC and stored in the cotton sacks under the stairs as well.

Tents, backpacks, and excess/old gear go in the garage neatly organized in totes or hanging on the wall.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

My previous apartment was about 900 sf, and I built a wall organizer in the 2nd bedroom that held all of my hiking, backpacking, and biking gear (including the bikes). It more or less took up half the room.

My current apartment is roughly 1100 sf, and most of the gear is neatly tucked away. We have a nice, BIG walk-in closet, and the right side of it is dedicated to gear storage. Sleeping bags and packs occupy hangers, and most gear is segregated by function into milk crate bins, smaller bins (for smaller items), and shelves. Small packs (like our camelbaks and my lumbar pack) hang on a behind-the-door coat rack along with hats, bladders, and other long odds & ends. Scrap rope and webbing hangs neatly from the built-in wire shelves in the closet. Sleeping pads lay on their sides with valves open behind the gear crates. It's pretty cramped, but it works. The bikes just lean up against the wall in the 2nd bedroom for now.

We hope to be moving into a larger townhouse later this summer which will have a garage, basement, or both, and possibly even a third bedroom, one of which will become gear storage.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack
Sleeping Gear: POE Max Thermo pad/MEC -3 Merlin
Shelter: TarpTent Double Rainbow

Tired of gear all over the place!

My last house I lived in, there was gear all over the place. There was gear in 4 closets, on top of shelves, down stairs(The 'Pit') in the utilities room and in a crawl space.

When I moved, I decided to get a little more 'organized'.

I have a spare bedroom, which is where I have my computer desk and where I keep most of my hiking gear. I store my canoe and related gear, off site.
In the spare bedroom, I use the closet to hold sleeping bags, most of my jackets, vests and shirts, Therm-a-Rests etc.

I built 3 wooden storage racks so that they would hold 12 large plastic bins each and have room left underneath, to hold resource materials.

I have access to a labeling machine from work, so I categorized the bins, put some labels on them and filled them with the appropriate gear.

When I am getting ready for a trip, I print off a list of the gear I want, go to the bins, extract it and check it off of my list.
For the past 3-4 days, I've been busy with a new(to me) program and hope to have all my gear listed, including weights, to make for a more 'informed' selection.
It is a lot better than running all through the house, looking for my gear.
It's amazing how it 'collects', over the years!

Dusty
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 04-19-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots
When I am getting ready for a trip, I print off a list of the gear I want, go to the bins, extract it and check it off of my list.
For the past 3-4 days, I've been busy with a new(to me) program and hope to have all my gear listed, including weights, to make for a more 'informed' selection.
It is a lot better than running all through the house, looking for my gear. Dusty
With your organized totes and checklists, I'd be interested to know how fast you can assemble your gear for an outing.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots

It's amazing how it 'collects', over the years!

Dusty

DANG Dusty,

Where is the drooling smilie when I need it??
Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussomer
With your organized totes and checklists, I'd be interested to know how fast you can assemble your gear for an outing.

Well, .... I can't say as I've 'timed' myself but for selecting and packing gear, I'd say .... bout 45 minutes(or less) ... depending on type or destination of trip. I know that it takes me longer to prepare and pack the food, than it does my gear.

When I used to get out a lot (90+ bag nights a season), I could come home, change, pack and be out on the road in 40 minutes.

Slowin down with age I guess, as there is no real need to 'hurry' anymore. In the long scheme of things, what's an hour ?

Dusty
Old 04-19-2006, 07:55 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Trekker
DANG Dusty,

Where is the drooling smilie when I need it??

Wipe you face off there OT,.....nothin worse than a snotty faced Kid!

Don't forget...I've been collecting/using some of this gear for years!
I have(still use} a Duluth canoe pack that I "liberated" from the DNR of Ontario, back in 1971, at the end of my tenure of being a Junior Forest Ranger. Great job!

Occasionally, I sell some gear and use the funds to get some new/improved stuff.

Dusty