Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Lightening Up on H2O (Water) Containers

Along with my hydration bladder, I have always carried 2-1L water bottles.

I started with the ole Nalgenes, weighing in at 3.5 oz. x2 = 7 whopping oz. without the water.... :(

Then, I started carrying 2-1L sports drink bottles, which weigh 1 7/8 oz. ea.
x2 = 3 3/4 oz. Weight saved = 3 1/4 oz.

Well, I decided to try a Platypus 1L collapsable bottle, along with a sports drink bottle. I was very pleased to see the weight of the 1L Platy bottle was only 7/8 oz. !!
So now, using the Platy and the sports drink bottle , I'm at 2 3/4 oz.!!

.... From where I started with the Nalgenes, I have a 4 1/4 oz. weight savings!!

Another thing is, I really like how it flattens out -less bulk in/on the pack!

When full, it fits nicely along side my hydration bladder inside my pack !

Just thought I'd pass it along...

Perkolady
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus
Sleeping Gear: Homemade down quilt
Shelter: Tarp

Come to the light...

I've been a die hard Platy user pretty munch since I got serious about backpacking. Although I've heard some people have had there Platys fail before, I've had one that I've been using for 2 years, and another one that about a year and a half old. They've held up great and I've never given them any special treatment. I also own the Big Zip II, but I haven't used it as much so I can't really say anything about it's durability.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I like my Nalgenes a lot for in the dorms, they are great more mixing up Kool Aid and other 'beverages'. But for on the trail, I agree they are much too heavy. I still use soda bottles because I'm too cheap/broke to buy a couple of Platys. They work well enough for me right now though, but if I can hold off buying some until Christmas that may change. On weekend trips I sometimes buy a bottle of Gatorade and bring it along and when I empty it I use it as a water bottle. The top cubby in my wardrobe is actually being overrun with empty bottles, I may have to do some house cleaning as I don't see my self needing 10L of water at anytime.

Adam
Old 10-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Platy's are not reliable for carrying water.

I do a lot of desert hiking and I've pretty much given up on using the collapsible Platy-type bottles for carrying water. I have tried four of them now including the Big Zip and they have all sprung leaks along the expandable bottom seam. The leaks are not caused by abuse. It appears that the plastic develops fatigue cracks at the seams from the constant motion in the pack. In one case, I was on a hike in some local desert mountains and if I hadn't found the leak early on, I could have had a thirsty trip out.

My advice to you desert rats: if you need a reliable container for carrying water, don't use the Platy, use 2 liter pop bottles. I have never had one of them fail. If you need to haul a lot of water, try the 1.4 gallon jugs in which Clorox comes. For storing water in camp, on the other hand, the Platy's work just fine. If you insist on using a Platy to carry water, try placing them in your pack with the bottom up. This way when they start leaking, you won't loose all of your water. Incidentally, I would not rely on hydration bladders either.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:41 AM

I've had Platypus bags go bad, but never without warning and not on the trail. The danger sign is delamination near areas of repeated folding. I carefully inspect each bag before a trip. The only failures I've had with Camelbak are at the tube attachment (tube pulled off because bag moved while tube was stuck) or improper threading of the cap (only on the old style caps).

I use both types of bladders for desert hiking. I usually divide water into 2-4 bags (I have carried up to 12 l), and I generally have plenty of extra capacity should a bag fail.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 AM

big_load,

Do you have to "hang" your camelback in your pack? (I've never seen one)

One of the reasons I go with the Platy is because it never really collapses enough for it to be a problem.

Is this why people talk about hanging it in their packs?

Inquiring minds want to know.... lol

Perkolady
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolady
Do you have to "hang" your camelback in your pack? (I've never seen one)
Is this why people talk about hanging it in their packs?

A Camelbak fits nicely in a sleeve and doesn't require any support, whether it's full or empty. Mrs. big_load doesn't have a sleeve and often puts hers in the lid. It works OK just about anywhere. I think hanging gets involved only when you want to attach them outside the pack. Some people like to put one on each side.

I use Platypus bags (hosers or generic bags with hoses attached) the same way, but I acknowledge some benefit from hanging them. If you're using it for on-trail hydration (not just carrying water for later camp use), you'll typically have the spout end down, and it will eventually delaminate near the spout. Some models have punchouts at the bottom to facilitate hanging. The Big Zip doesn't have spout vulnerability, but it does have the scary big ziplock.

I also use empty water bottles (the tall 1l Glaceau bottles are nice). They don't last forever either, but they're cheap and light.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks, big_load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_load
The Big Zip doesn't have spout vulnerability, but it does have the scary big ziplock.

LOL, I have those... they sure keep my fingers strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_load
I also use empty water bottles (the tall 1l Glaceau bottles are nice). They don't last forever either, but they're cheap and light.

I had one break (crushed and forced open) while my hubby was "helping" me load my pack into the car for a trip. That was the end of those for me!

Perkolady
Old 10-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Platys hard to fill in low water

I loved my platypus 1qt with sportbottle valve. It was very hard to fill it up in the rivers though. We kept filling a normal soda bottle and then pouring it into the platy. That worked really well. I loved the fact that it fitted perfectly in the netting outside pocket on my SixMoonDesigns Essence pack. My partner did not mind using the soda bottle and we carried one more platypus as a backup in case we needed to carry a little more water. Empty, it doesn't weigh much at all and it fits anywhere in the pack...
Old 10-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

i recently picked up two 1L platys at 20% off at my local outfitter. anyways i was always curious as to how people fill them when using a MSR miniworks filter?