Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bikepacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bikepacking The Bikebacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to bikepacking (also known as bicycle camping). Subject matter should involve the backpacking/camping/bike gear and trip planning as it relates to mountain biking and bicycle touring.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
it is strange, as solid fuel stoves don't have that whole, you know, EXPLOSION thing going for them... i've seen what happens if a liquid fueled stove should be tipped, bumped, or shifted wrong... 'fwoosh' comes to mind. especially alcohol stoves.

solid fuel burning stove of any sort, what do you get if you knock it over? a few sparks, a pile of burning coals that's easy to put out(as opposed to liquid fuels, which tend to spread when you try to use water on them, and continue to burn if you throw dirt/ash on them...) with water or dirt.

huh.

thinking about it that way makes it seem pretty strange...

Yep, I live in an area that gets burn bans in summer, and any liquid or gas fuel stove is okay, but if it burns solids, no go. Even charcoal grills are out. Never seen a spark thrown from one of those, aside from the fireball that occasionally results when too much lighter fluid is used.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Just thought I'd chime in late, and agree with the others who recomend a multi/white gas stove.

I've got an Optimus Nova that I've been very happy with. The thing about cooking on a bike tour is that (generally) you have more re-supply stops, so you can do a little more involved cooking then on a long backpacking trip.

Plus the added weight is a much smaller percentage of what you're carrying, so it's not nearly as noticeable to carry something heavier as it is with backpacking.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Camelback HAWG
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Hoodoo 3

Hey Life,
We are ultralight bikepackers and our research led us to a little Brunton stove and a Snowpeak pot and cup set. The stove and the fuel fit nicely in the pot. I boils &, heats up thing well. Also, anything cooks in aluminum foil; baking potatoes is my favorite. A little squeeze bottle of olive oil is kinda handy.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeontwowheels
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at both and weighing the advantages and disadvantages.

For white gas stoves, I'm liking some of the Optimus/Primus variants that seem to be getting good reviews. Might look at SVEA as well, since I'm finding new stoves online at good prices.

Really liking the Caldera set up for alcohol-especially the Ti-Tri which allows wood burning.

I have a (Snowpeak, I believe) canister stove lying around here somewhere in my old scout gear. Only problem I have read about these is the relative lack of fuel availability once you hit the American Heartland. If I can find it, I may look at some of the options of mailing fuel and taking a small tea-light alcohol/esbit for back up.

I have the Optimus Nova plus, the Primus Omnifuel, and the SVEA. I use them all. (I motorcycle camp, but feel my comments still relevant)
I like the Nova for its extreme adjustability. I use the Optimus heat exchange pot set they offer. Very durable, excellent heat dispersion.
I also like the Primus. I currently use it with the canister because it's super quick. It simmers pretty well...not as good as the Optimus.

I just started using the SVEA 123's. Nostalgia, shiny brass antiquey! And they cook great! Try to get an old 123, not the 123R. Simmers/cooks better.
Another good choice, especially for the bike, is the old Optimus 8R. I carry those too. Self contained, quick, and simmers pretty well.
Fuel is already in the tanks of the 123 and the 8R. Both burn about an hour on a tank.
The SVEA and 8R require a brief learning curve, but are 100% reliable. The others are much quicker.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: '80 REI/Lowe Contour IV
Sleeping Gear: '78 Twin Peaks 0 deg.
Shelter: '79 Eureka Timberline 2

Very Late opinion

HI All:
Thanks for the answers to this, as I am, too looking into replacing a Coleman Peak 1 circa 1979. Only the weight of a small boxcar- and equally as reliable and durable.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fripphead
HI All:
Thanks for the answers to this, as I am, too looking into replacing a Coleman Peak 1 circa 1979. Only the weight of a small boxcar- and equally as reliable and durable.

handy to have if barbarians ever lay siege to your camp... you can drop it on them .

the new coleman stoves are pretty light, compared to back then.