Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Paddling
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Paddling The Paddling forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness paddling (canoeing, kayaking, rafting). Topics focus on trip planning and gear.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Neches River Day Trip

I did this trip last year, but I'm trying out this embed feature to see if it works.

This was a great trip. I was in a rented Old Town Pack canoe. A bit on the wide side for me, but very maneuverable (needed on this type of trip). It was a bit slower than the kayaks on the trip, but I could keep up fine if I just worked a bit more.

The river was a bit low, and with all the downed timber, it sure made for an interesting day on the river. Watch out for the wasp nests in the shrubs overhanging the river. Those things were aggressive!

Also, the water on this river is very slack. You can't really just relax and let the water take you on a trip of this length. You have to work, or you have to camp on the river overnight to get to the nearest takeout. Speaking of takeouts...this one was shady. At the river crossing are a couple of bars/strip clubs that date from when Angelina Cty was dry but its neighbors were not. Residents had to make 'river runs' to get alcohol. The dirt road from the highway to the river's edge is scary. I could only get part-way town in my little Honda, which meant I had to carry the canoe up quite a distance from the water. To get close to the water, you really need 4wd.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Granite Gear
Sleeping Gear: MEC Raptor
Shelter: Eureka!

Our takeouts most often look like this...

...but the forestry road into this point did a real number on the car... now we have a Jeep (much better).
Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 PM

If I visit that spot again, I'll take some pics. My next section of that river will be a 2-day trip from that point downriver to the next road crossing. I tried posting a map, but the forum doesn't seem to be able to embed google maps.

Anyway, wife drives a 4wd Jeep, but at this point, she hadn't moved down from PA yet. I was in a Honda Fit, and I still drove farther down that road (without damage, mind you) than my paddling companions who had a 2wd Jeep. My wife's Jeep could have made it down to the river, I bet.

Initially, I heard the state DOT would be upgrading the facilities there when they did construction on the highway and replaced the bridge over the river...but I recently heard that they had ditched their plans to improve river access there. It's a shame, because the put-in is paved and has a small boat ramp, even.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM

that is a shame... is there any letter writing or whatnot you and others can do to help get some attention for the access?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie
that is a shame... is there any letter writing or whatnot you and others can do to help get some attention for the access?

That's been tried. It's past the point where it would be useless now. Besides, the biggest concern is that the city of Dallas wants to put a dam on the river for drinking water reserves. Even the feds (well, Fish & Wildlife anyway) oppose that idea. It would have been scrapped long ago but our rep to congress is a moron and won't write the proposal to designate a stretch of the river wild & scenic (he's the only guy that can make that proposal).

But Fish & Wildlife has begun designating a wildlife preserve nearby and they started with a hunk of riverfront property that was donated to them by some advocates. It's really putting a monkey wrench in Dallas' plans since the F&WS will only buy land from willing sellers, while Dallas will seize land by eminent domain and kick people out. Residents strongly oppose Dallas' plan, but our local rep thinks that yet another reservoir would bring more money to the economy than the people it would displace or something stupid.

I'm plugged in with some advocates for the river...one of whom is a fellow environmental science grad student, former reporter, and a friend to a lot of folks. I also bought a book on the river that is an excellent historical perspective of the area, Paddling the Wild Neches. My friend knows the author and got my copy signed for me. The author has paddled the whole length of the river from near Dallas to the Gulf.

Last summer, in the 108F heat, I did a 20 mile race on the river upstream from this particular trip. Lots of fun. I want to do it again next year!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 AM

oh man... that sounds like a messy situation.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM

It's Texas...ya think any environmental or conservation issue wouldn't get messy?

So far, the feds have stymied Dallas on the dam. But Dallas can just choose a new spot on the river.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Camelback HAWG
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Hoodoo 3

Neches sounds cool Nate. We live in Beaumont and use Village Creek or Huntsville SP as our venues. Heard lots about organized Neches trips. Send me a PM sometime and maybe we can get a group up,