Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Base Camp > Practical Backpacking™ Podcast
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Practical Backpacking™ Podcast This forum is for the exclusive discussion of Practical Backpacking™ Podcast (PBP) episodes. [NOTE: All posts in this area are manually processed -- they do not show automatically.]

Old 02-13-2010, 03:07 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

PBP Episode 45 - Hammocks 101

PBP Episode 45 - Hammocks 101

Quote:
This episode is all about hammocks. I've asked Brandon Waddy of Warbonnet Outdoors to help answer some basic, introductory questions regarding camping hammocks and hammock accessories.

Brandon and I discuss the types, benefits, and features of hammocks. And offer some practical tips for the use of hammocks in the backcountry.

Whether you're a curious beginner needing a little more information, or a seasoned hammocker who just loves talk about hammocks, this episode is likely to capture your interest.

Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Golite Jam2 & REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Crowsnest UQ & Burrow TQ
Shelter: Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock

Hammocks ..

I have to tell ya .. Another great Poscast Reality,
Lots of great info and I found it very informative, since I am a novice at hammock camping (not to regular) I found it to be great. Thanks ...!
I also just ordered a Warbbonet Blackbird from Brandon's site, a 1.1 double layer to be exact and I already have his Big Mamajamba Tarp. I believe that the extra weight will be sure worth it!..... Can't wait to try out!...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks Questtrek. You're welcome. I look forward to some trip reports.

I plan to release some more episodes in the near future.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

This was a great podcast. When I first started backpacking I bought a cheap nylon travel hammock, and to be honest I had a lot of trouble sleeping in it. Part of my problem is I was using my nylon sleeping bag, as a sleeping bag and not a quilt. My hammock is also pretty flimsy. I was wondering, has anyone tried just using the 10-15ft piece of nylon with knots in the end as a starter hammock? What kind of nylon or other kind of fabric would you recommend?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Quills.

Many are using breathable, ripstop nylon. Most companies will indicate which type of fabric they are using.

You might find that it's nearly the same cost to simply purchase a budget travel hammock rather than buy fabric.

Reality
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Gregory Triconi 60
Sleeping Gear: Clark Z-Liner;DIY pocket pads;Marmot Trestles -3°F/-19°C Bag; old down bag; Outbound -5C synth bag
Shelter: ClarkJH's NX150;TX150;Tropical2; Vertex Rain Fly & Vertex Camo Rain Fly

Quote:
I was wondering, has anyone tried just using the 10-15ft piece of nylon with knots in the end as a starter hammock? What kind of nylon or other kind of fabric would you recommend?
Hey Quills, the last time I used a hammock,
it was an old fly from a two man tent that I had 20+ years ago.
It was lite rip-stop nylon.

I just gathered both ends and tied a honking good knot at each end with a nylon rope and hung it up between two trees.

Climbing in to the bag was a challenge, yes . . .

. . . but the larger challenge was removing my boots while sitting in the hammock.

I had just pulled over after a 700 mile leg of a MB run,
it was getting dark there were no camp sites
so it was not part of the plan,
but rather an improv, so even as I was doing it
thought it would of been a hoot for someone if they had been watching.

Later years I used the same setup under different circumstances and it worked just fine.