Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Louisville Slugger Backpack any good?

I recently bought a "like new" red louisville slugger backpack for $3 used. It is made mostly for baseball. However, it looks exactly like a hiking backpack with two thick and comfortable shoulder straps and 6 zip compartments and a several pouches to hold water and other things. It has no hipbelt. It has two grommet holes on the lower sides of the bag. It has two slots to carry baseball bats. Overall very durable backpack.
The backpack weighs 2lbs.
My question is: Can I use this backpack to go on a week long hike in a forest? Thanks.

Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Am I reading correctly that the volume is around 1100c.i.? It seems a little small. I have an 850cc fanny pack, and am sure I'd have trouble fitting anything but a "survival" kit and food for a couple of days in it. Fitting a sleeping bag into 1100c.i. would be an interesting challenge. So I guess it depends on how "minimalist" you are willing to be and what your experience level with minimalist camping is.

If you're really going to try to use it for packing, you should look at the " Need Advice for Minimalist Kit" thread.

You could try loading everything you need in it and see what happens. Then let us know what you think. I can certainly see the attraction in a 2 pound 3 dollar backpack!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

load it first. if you've got one of those fancy down bags that compresses to the size of a soda can, you might get away with it.

the big thing is, that's a VERY low capacity pack. it'd make a great daypack, maybe even an overnight pack, or a hyper-minimalized weekender.

but at 1KCI(thousand cubic inches) it's frankly too small. you'd be having to leave behind necessities and essentials, in order to make it a week. basic rule of thumb i once heard was 500CI per day or something like that. i take 3-4,000 cubic inches for a one-week trip and get by nicely. some folks do it on 2,000 but they're paring it down a lot less than i do.

to put it in perspective, i go for as dense as i can with food, to take up as little space as possible, and a weekend's worth for me, not including water, takes up around 800 cubic inches, maybe as much as 900. water can take another several hundred. for just three days.

so even if you carried your bag and shelter outside your pack you're going to be running out of space just packing food and water, nevermind the implements to prepare and consume said food/water. you could go 'no cook'(there's threads here for just that concept), but for an entire week you'll probably never want to look at trail mix, jerky, tortillas or the like ever again.

looks like a fine daypack, to be sure. maybe even a lightweight over-night pack to a minimum-comfort weekend pack. more than three days would be pushing yourself and your pack past what most hikers would call reasonable tho.

as always tho,
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I need a "bending over, laughing so hard I'm crying" style smiley/'emoticon' to help out my comment here !!!

Might make a passable daypack ?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Just fitting 5-7 days food supply into 1100 cu. " would be a challenge. Even with very light gear a belt makes a big difference in comfort.

I have Mountainsmith Cairn lumbar pack that is 1100 cu. ". Using my lightest, most compact gear (AMK Thermolite Bivy, E-Wing tarp, UL poncho, beercan cookset etc. plus minimal food supply) I'd be hard-pressed to be able to accomodate more than an overnight or maybe two days in mild weather. For a week I think you will need a minimum of 2500 cu. ".

Back in the '60s Outdoor Life ran an article on UL backpacking. The author's food supply was slightly crushed Total cereal, powdered whole milk and brown sugar, about 1 cup/day mixed with hot or cold water. I tried it on a 3-day trip once. It's not bad but you just don't get the calories you're expending. I'm skinny and not a big eater but after 3 days I was bored with the menu and felt half-starved (and probably was). Add some tea, sugar, instant soup, some trail mix and such and you are still looking at about 10 cups for a minimal diet for a week.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

To the important comments above, I would add that I dislike carrying even light loads without a hipbelt.