Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Osprey and Dueter Youth Packs

I wanted to share my quick review of two youth packs. My mother just bought packs for my daughter and my niece. The Osprey Ace 48 Pack - Youth and the Deuter Fox 30 Pack - Juniors'. We were getting ready for a short overnight trip. It would be My neice's frist backpacking trip and we wanted it to be a great experience. So the complete trip was about 5 miles. It was short, and it was succesful.

My daughter is 10 and has a torso lenght of 15 inches. We have tried a couple of different packs for her. One was a small pack with a waistbelt. It had no brand. It worked, but it was not quite right. No big loss it came from a yardsale. Then we found a much nicer pack on sale. It was a Jansport youth pack with waistbelt and sternum strap. It too worked, but is still did not really put the load on her hips and legs. After much deliberation we went with the Osprey Ace 48 youth pack for Sydney. It has an adjustable torso so it will fit for a long time. SHe absolutely loves it. It actually made me feel guilty about not getting it sooner. She never once had any complaints about it. It was a short trip, but we hiked without much stopping. I really appreciate the design of this bag. Obviously it is great that it will adjust, but it also has a lot of other features that we like. First Sydney loves the pockets on the waist belt, and they are actually big enough to hold stuff. I really like the one large side pocket instead of two smaller ones. Many packs seem to put one on each side, and they are small. This one has only one of the side, but it is very roomy. I also really like the mesh type pocket on it. It was really handy for stuffing her jacket, and when swimming weather is here it will be good for wet stuff. I really have no complaints about this pack. It is better than I hoped it would be. Sh had 12 pounds in her pack. She had her pad, sleeping bag, clothes, snacks, pocketknife, headlight, a couple other things, and her two beanie animals. It still had plenty of room.

My neice is 5. SHe has never backpacked before, and we were concerned about how she would do. Her dad measured her torso at 11 inches. There are not many packs that fit in that size. We went with the Fox pack, and it was also a great choice. We adjusted it, put it on her, and she never complained. We kept asking how it was, and she kept saying it was good. I thought it would take a lot of adjusting to get it right, but it was simple. My mother did the packing and organizing on this pack, so I really don't have any comment on its design as far as pockets. I do know it had a side pocket on each side instead of the one larger pocket like the Osprey. She had 6 pounds in her pack. She never had any problems with it. She was able to carry her clothes, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and her beanie animal. There was still a lot of room in the pack. So as she grows it will adjust with her, and hold more things.

I just wanted to share our experience with these packs. It is hard to choose what pack to get for a young one. And it is a pretty big investment. It is also hard to find a lot of feedback on youth packs. But thanks to this group I did find these tow reccomended. I would highly reccomend these to anyone.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

+1 on the Dueter. My 11 year old has about 50 miles under her Fox 30 with no complaints. She usually carries between 10-12lbs and can easily fit her 20deg bag, POE Ether Thermo inflatable pad, xtra clothes, fleece, shell, book and snacks in it with no problem and a shorty Z lite pad on the outside.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: MacPac Rimu
Sleeping Gear: Lafuma Warm-n-light 1000 down, Big Agnes insulated air core pad
Shelter: Exponent Seige 2

Thanks for the write-up! I'll have to take a look at the Fox 30 for my almost-6-year-old daughter.