Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Packs for a small frame

I've been lurking for a while.

I'm a small guy. Not really overly skinny. I'm fit but just have a small frame. I have found that it is nearly impossible to find a pack with a hip belt that fits snug around my waist. I bought a Gregory G pack a couple years ago and it fit when I tried it on and at the trail head. A few miles down the trail and it was loose. I ended up giving that pack away after that initial trip to an ex girlfriend. I now have a golite Jam2 and I love this pack... but I seem to have the same issue. A couple miles into the trail and my shoulders are taking the brunt of the load. I have the smallest size that golite makes. I have tried on other packs to no avail.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do to make things a bit snugger?

The "gain weight" solution will not work. It has been a burden since I was a child. Ugh.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

with a size 30 waist im on the slim side too, and have found that the Jam2 (no small?) doesnt fit me right. Otherwise, you have to sacrifice shoulder comfort for a pack with a 14" torso right?
my only advice is to try a Granite Gear pack, they will swap out straps, belts and the like to get more a custom fit. Even if you have a 22" torso with a 29" waist, they can help you. The Vapor Trail pack is very large capacity for the weight. Some of the other cottage pack makers do custom work as well. Talk to Ron Bell at MLD gear or Brian Frankle at ULA packs. Both guys have great customer service. Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I have been extraordinarily pleased with my gossamer gear mariposa plus packs. I have both small and medium packs with small waistbelts. I have used these packs for 4 day hikes with daily water access as well as long trail runs (little less weight on those). These packs are easy to customize if you need to shorten belt or straps as I did for my daughter's pack and they carry very well. The option to use pads or excess clothing for shoulder and waist belt I'd a great feature.
Yippikiyo
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

yippi,

+1 on the Mariposa; modified one for my wife last year, no problem, good piece of equipment.

By the way, the feet shown in your image appear to be rather seriously moleskin-deprived.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

The Mariposa is a great pack. Depends on the features you want in an UL pack. But yes, like the 2 posters above I have to agree. I have the Miniposa in size M and the 30" setting (the smallest it will go) just fits. Any skinnier and it would slide down.

BTW, Jimbo have you had any success in finding what works for you?

you may want to check w/ Gossamer Gear to see if they would have a med w/ sm belt in stock.

Last edited by Mike_in_FHAZ : 06-01-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Look at the packs by Six Moon Designs.

Ron offers two different shoulder strap lengths - 15 and 18 inches - and three different hip belts:

Short: 26-34 inches
Medium: 30 to 38 inches
Long: 34 to 44 inches

In addition, the shoulder strap attachment points on all but the Essence are adjustable up and down over about a 6 inch range to accomodate virtually any toros length.

My wife is 5'5" and her new Traveler pack fits her very nicely using the 15 inch straps and the medium belt and the next to lowest attachment point. (We also got a set of 18 inch straps and a large belt so I can - maybe - steal the pack on occasion).