Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Pack Cover Roundup

For those of you who use pack covers, please share what brands and colors you use and how they have performed for you.

[Side Note: Pack covers can actually save weight (from a pack otherwise soaked with water weight) in certain circumstances.]

I've used a bright orange pack cover to put over my pack when hiking in areas with active hunting seasons. And I've used one for additional rain protection. [This can also be used for getting attention in other emergencies.]

While it's going to be tempting to discuss (or make any comments regarding) liners and waterproof stuff sacks, please completely refrain and simply share pack cover information in this thread. [Discussion of liners and sacks can be found in other PBF threads.]

As far as an orange pack cover goes, I've found none more vibrant (brighter and lighter) than the ULA-Equipment pack cover (XS for Relay = 1.7 oz).

A good pick for lightweight with useful features is the Sea to Summit Ultra-light Siliconized Cordura pack cover (small = 3.4 ounces with stuff sack) -- complete with "a mid-back keeper strap that helps secure it to the pack and keep the sides from catching wind."

Another lightweight option is the Equinox Ultralite Silnylon pack cover.

For those who do, which pack covers (and colors/weights) do you use?

Reality

[PS. I've completely gone without, rigged (made my own), and used a garbage bag in the past, but this thread is about the actual use and selection of commercial pack covers (and colors).]
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I use a Granite Gear Cloud Cover - weighs just under 4 ounces in medium and is white 'ish in color. I also have a blue ULA cover for my Relay but have not used it yet. I believe it is comfortably under 2 ounces but of course is designed for a much smaller pack. Color does not mean much to me except that the white obviously shows blemishes more easily.

I like pack covers for keeping my pack clean as well for when I put my pack down, etc.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I use a blue pack cover that I have had for many years. Not a name brand. It has velcro straps in the mid section and draw string at the bottom. I like it.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM

I use the very same ULA pack cover that Reality has, in vibrant orange.

It works well and I like it not just for safety in hunting season, but because in the whiteness of winter it can help others find you. (Whether you want them to or not!)

Here is a photo of it in action just two days ago:
Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy
I use the very same ULA pack cover that Reality has, in vibrant orange.

It works well and I like it not just for safety in hunting season, but because in the whiteness of winter it can help others find you. (Whether you want them to or not!)

Where is it in the photo? I can't see it. That cover almost hurts the eyes (when up close to it) - it's so vivid. I like it!

I agree - and I also mentioned the overall emergency use of it (above). It's not likely to be missed (except by hunters - hopefully).

Great photo example, HD.

Reality
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I usually bring an old Gregory polyurethane-coated nylon cover (170g). It's heavy, but not nearly as heavy as a pack full of water. It's been accumulating patches for a years, so I'm looking for a replacement. The silnylon covers are tempting.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I use the Granite Gear cloud cover as well. ~4oz. I debate whether to bring it or not, it's 4 oz that could go to something else or just contribute to a lighter pack. I always bring it though. I've used it several times this summer. It works fine, and seems well-made. It packs down quite small into its own little pouch. The elastic around the edge holds it to the pack just fine. I've yet to use it in a real downpour. I imagine the back of the pack will get wet and eventually soak through. My old Dana Designs cover had a built in hood that protected the gap at the back to prevent water from entering there. I sold it when I sold my old Terraplane to go lighter.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Golite Jam2 & REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Crowsnest UQ & Burrow TQ
Shelter: Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock

My latest pack cover was a Kelty Gray cover that was about 8 oz. I thought it was a little too heavy so I sold it. I am now in the market for a new lighter model. I've been thinking about the one from ULA and possibly the Golite one, decisions, decisions ....I think something between 2 -3oz. would be just perfect for my 51 liter pack.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM

What I use is technically a cover (since it goes on the outside) but is not made of cloth. I spray my pack with a silicon water proof/repellant spray. It obviously does not make it waterproof (too many seams), but it does keep the pack fabric from soaking up water and stops most seepage into the pack. That way I pick up little, if any, water weight and can do without the weight and cost of a cloth pack cover. (Pack contents are in waterproof bags.)

I do like the idea of a bright cover for deer hunting season.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Hammock/TQ/UQ
Shelter: Asym Diamond

I have an equanox cover that has a draw cord that goes around the parimiter of it. It comes in at about 3oz and fits my Med ULA Circuit. It is a green color a shade darker that the SMD lunar solo. I wish it was blaze orange but I got it on a gear deal so I couldn't complain about the color (beggers can't be choosers) it does the job well but I am still contemplating getting a "brighter" one. I don't regularly take it but now that I have hit the rainy/snow season I will be taking it along on my trips.

Last edited by mugs : 10-07-2007 at 09:16 PM.