Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 02-22-2007, 09:54 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

How to support a camelbak in a regular backpack?

:NOTES: I'm not too sure where else I could ask about this so I'm just asking it here where I think there are more people experienced with the general bladder use than any other forums that I'm involved with. and I don't want to risk damaging my bladder in the process since I cannot afford another brand new one (reason why I didn't test it yet) :NOTES:

I got a regular camelbak (for $4 at a thrift store. It was still in it's plastic and still has the manual, indicates that it have never been used ) that I have been using for quite a bit lately and it have helped me a lot because one of my biggest hassles with general exercise is not the exhaustion or the exercise itself but rather the dry scratchy throat that I always gets. unfortunately due to my car not being in a good shape at the moment, I have been walking everywhere and biking a lot recently (just bought a bike last week) and I have noticed a easier time with such a activities whenever I tuck my camelbak inside the laptop storage pocket inside my regular backpack (which I had since high school). While I like my camelbak, I do not like the hassle of having to use the extra backpack of camelbak if I could just stuff it in the space of my regular backpack I also wonder if it would be easier for me to carry, since I would be losing some weight from leaving the bladder's backpack at home.

I usually never put anything else inside that "laptop" space if the bladder is there anyway so I don't need puncture protection. I was just wondering if it needs to be supported in a space twice as wide as the bladder is.

So basically what I'm asking is this,
Should I keep the bladder inside the camelbak backpack then put it in the usual space or could I just put the bladder in without worries of unnecessary damages to it?

The Camelbak backpack (on the left obviously) that I wanna avoid using.

This is the space that the bladder always goes in, the pocket was originally designed to be used for storing laptop so it already have some cushioning.

This is how I usually set it up whenever I go out with the bladder.

P.S. sorry if I didn't put up the model number and stuffs, I can't seem to be able to find it online. The owner manual only really talks about getting a cleaning kit and how to connect these hoses.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Unless it's next to something sharp or abrasive, you can just use the naked bladder without much fear of disaster. I've carried Camelbaks that way for years.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 AM

cool, thanks I just wasn't sure at all since I had not really handled the camelbak differently than what is shown in the pictures above. Now I don't have t carry the excess bladder's backpack and have to fiddle with it at times.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

That looks like one of the old style camelbaks. I haven't seen one of those in years! Pretty cool you landed it brand new for $4. If you look in the photo gallery under the packs section, I've got some photos of how I managed to hang my camelbak inside a pack that I have. Yours lacks the hook on top that mine has, so that specific technique probably won't work for you, but if you can figure out a way to HANG the bladder inside the pack to prevent it from crumpling at the bottom of your backpack, then I think that's a better solution than just shoving it inside the laptop pocket.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeNate
That looks like one of the old style camelbaks. I haven't seen one of those in years!

I still have two of that vintage. Thanks for pointing it out, because I should also mention that threading and tightening the old-style cap can be a bit tricky. You have to check it a little more carefully than the newer models to be certain that it's fully closed. It's not a big deal, just something to look out for.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks for helping me to try this out. One of the reason of the timing of this thread was because of the fact that I had today off and I had to go to the wal-mart to replace the inner tube of my bike tire (I took the bike with me). So I've put just the bladder in the same space as usual but as a extra measure of safety and caution, I've stuffed a windbreaker next to the bladder (it was very windy today so I would've took the windbreaker anyway) and also put the bladder inside 2 shopping bag then put it in there. Sure the shopping bags may kind of defeat the purpose of taking the bladder without the backpack but this was just a testing. next time I probably will also bring the windbreaker anyway (the weather here starting to look more windy lately) but not the shopping bag.

Quote:
That looks like one of the old style camelbaks. I haven't seen one of those in years!

Yeah I didn't even know that this camelbak was old style until I tried to look it up online and ended up seeing all of these "omega" style bags and whatnot.

Quote:
Pretty cool you landed it brand new for $4.

I've always managed to find good deals at most stores but most especially thrifts stores (and other similar stores). Once I found a complete set of couch (with a pull-out bed) and reclining loveseat (and a cornerpeice "connecting" those 2 together) for only about $100 at a thrift store. Though sometime I wonder if I've unconciously used my deafness to get a better deal

Quote:
If you look in the photo gallery under the packs section, I've got some photos of how I managed to hang my camelbak inside a pack that I have. Yours lacks the hook on top that mine has, so that specific technique probably won't work for you, but if you can figure out a way to HANG the bladder inside the pack to prevent it from crumpling at the bottom of your backpack, then I think that's a better solution than just shoving it inside the laptop pocket.

About hanging it, there is like 1 inch section on the top of the bag that is pretty much sealed away from the water so I might be able to make some hanging trick (with a clamp maybe?) to hold it up though with my school backpack that would basically pull down the top of the bag creating more of a drag onto my shoulder (just guessing). I would try this with a frame backpack on a day hike though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_load
I still have two of that vintage. Thanks for pointing it out, because I should also mention that threading and tightening the old-style cap can be a bit tricky. You have to check it a little more carefully than the newer models to be certain that it's fully closed. It's not a big deal, just something to look out for.

I know what you mean, fortunately I'm pretty dexterous with my hand (due to ASL) so it is pretty easy for me to check that.

I'm just glad that I got this size bladder (70oz) cause despite going all over town today, I still have not used up all of the waters yet More than enough if I just drink the water only to wet my throat I guess that this mean for some of the easier hikes and BPing the 70oz bladder would be overkill lol. I do plans to use the camelbak backpack when I do some day hikes. A medium-sized fanny pack that I have should be sufficient to carry everything else that I need.

P.S. I've replaced both of the inner tire with one of those solid "semi-foamy" innertube and rode the bike home. I should've done this with my first bike in CO! cause there was alot of little thorns all over the place puncturing the inner tubes. Both of the new inner tube costed me about a total of $40 and slight comfort but for sure it worth it from not having to worry about getting a flat anymore! I also won't have to lug my air pump anymore, just some bike tools to keep the bike in shape (Sorry, I'm just glad that I've finally fixed the bike so I could resume my exercise routine to strengthen my kinda weak knees and to help me build up my stamina and endurance (Isn't stamina and endurance the same thing?))