Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Mosquitoes / Mosquito Abatement

What methods do you use for keeping mosquitoes away from you and your car camping site?

Lately, I've been using Natrapel 8 Hour Insect Repellant Wipes (20% Picaridin). So far, they work quite well.

I've heard more than a few say that they use the smoke from their campfire to keep mosquitoes away. I do my best to avoid a smoky fire. However, I have used smoke from mosquito coils and Coghlan's Mosquito Sticks. Those sticks worked good on a couple of camping trips.

I'm considering some homemade mosquito traps for an upcoming trip - made with 2L bottles and a concoction of brown sugar, water, and yeast. Unfortunately, the place that I'm going is heavy with mosquitoes.

I've tried various candles (e.g. citronella) over the years, and they didn't seem to annoy much other than me.

What have you been using?

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

The Adirondacks are beautiful but is a well known as pesthole. Site selection is important. In the canoe I try to pick a point that catches more or less continous breeze. When walking, partway up a hillside catches a breeze up or down depending upon the time of day. Try to avoid low watery areas.

A natural way is to toss some sweetfern (if you can find it) on the fire creating an aromatic smoke. Sweetfern is a woody shrub with dark green, glossy, narrow multi-lobed leaves, usually growing in large clumps.

Mosquito coils work well, especially in a shelter, as do high-DEET repellents. I haven't tried the electronic repellents but I understand they work well, too. (I'd like to see some reports from those who use them).
Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I will be using DEET repellent and a head net when I do the 100 mile in Maine. I never have used a head net in the past but I will be going at a time when the bugs (black flies and mosquitoes) will be out in force.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I always carry DEET, but don't seem to use it much.

I am one of the few people with a DEET/gear horror story. Loaned a North Face parka to a friend. He put DEET on the collar liberally (without my knowing). I didn't wash it off (not knowing it was there), and it did eat through the nylon collar. I'm real careful about what I use DEET around now.

But then, Sierra Nevada mosquitoes are a little on the wimpy side, so it isn't as big a deal as it might be elsewhere. I just don't find much need in the daytime.

Where I do use mosquito protection rigorously is under the tarp at night. Some sort of inner bug tent, or a shelter with bug protection designed into it - similar to a Gossamer Gear One - is normal. (I read at night - can't help myself - the reading light brings the buggers, so some sort of mesh is necessary.)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Dried horse manure or cow manure "patties" are another faithful old standby to throw on the campfire to help deter mozzies !!!

A lot of drovers and stockmen and old bushies still swear by them..

More than a few "cityslickers" would probably swear at the idea !
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Appalachia is terrible when it comes to pests. On my last trek, I forgot the bug juice and was fine, until I stopped to make camp. After kicking back in a nice little root divot, out of which a tree had fallen, it took about ten minutes to accumulate a literal swarm of "tiger" mosquitos.

I usually use DEET with good results, though as GGervin noted, it does react with plastics.

I've used a battery operated Thermacell and it generally works well enough, if it is set upwind of your seat in camp, but it is a bit bulky for belt wear (IMO.)

I've bought a few of the mint extract-impregnated bracelets to try in place of DEET (trying to avoid mutation.) I'm looking forward to seeing how those work.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I cannot stand the feel of DEET on my skin and started using Picaridin when it became available. I have some small spritzer bottles that carry .5 oz that I take with me. I pry off the cap and refill them from a larger bottle when empty.

My RailRiders hiking pants and shirt have InsectShield, which also helps. I carry a headnet in my gear just in case things get too bad, however, the times and places I usually hike are in the lighter bug seasons.

I did backpack with my grandson a few years ago in an area where the mosquitos were big enough to have numbers on the side, but we camped in a saddle that had a continuous breeze. The biggest problem on that trip was all the ticks.