Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

View Poll Results: Does Gear Color Matter?
Yes, it matters 106 42.06%
Somewhat 128 50.79%
No, not at all 18 7.14%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Somewhat

My vote goes to somewhat. I have a few non-negotiables when it comes to gear and color.

Tents have to be either a grey, dull/slate blue, or very dark blue because I hate being inside of a bright colored tent like a yellow or orange or blue. I kind of like dreary rainy days and that is most conducive to sleeping for me.

I go for dark colors on my long sleeved shirts and warm pants (charcoal greys normally) This is so they soak up the sun and reflected sun and keep me even warmer, plus dry out faster in sunlight. Similarly I go whites and light tan colors for my short sleeved shirts and pants/shorts. I'll have a red bandanna and maybe an orange shirt for emergency/hunters/etc.

I stay away from dark shoes (black, dark grey, dark red) because they soak up sun and make my feet hot and sweaty, but as long as it is less than 50% dark I'm OK with it.

I guess it may seem like I'm picky and maybe I am more so than I thought, but they are really just basic guidelines from my experiences. I could care less about matching all my gear or not buy something just due to color if it was a perfect fit or exactly what I needed.

- Dominic
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM

To me colors only matter somewhat. There are certain colors that I will not wear, but beyond that all of my gear is mismatched. All in all, if i'm backpacking I'll be in the middle of nowhere with very few others around, and even if there is a lot of traffic, what do I care? I tend to stay away from a few colors, but other than that I go with whatever is functional and reasonably priced.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I wear natural colors for all my clothing, pack, and shelter. I don't want to stand out and invite any unwanted company. I don't where camo however because of the suspicion it may raise. For small items in my pack like lighters, flashlights, notebooks, etc I usually choose a bright color to make finding them easier. These days some groups of hikers look like a bunch of Easter eggs bouncing down the trail. When I see them coming I try to duck off into the brush and blend in until they are well past.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Yep, color matters to me...in winter I like my gear bright...I want it to be easily visable...my tent is orange and my hardshell is red although all my down is black...

In summer you are a fool around here if you wear the darker blues, greys or blacks in our woods...you will have a permanent bug flotilla around you...for this reason I would never buy anything in those colors although my pack has some black on it...in summer I often choose gear that will blend in...I like having people walk by and not see me...that said, I want them to see my kayak on the water so it is bright yellow...I am very attentive to colors when I buy gear...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

That's a rainbow of opinions...

with much diversity and little consensus. Everyone does seem to agree, at least, that small items like lighters need to be bright. Every time I see a black flashlight, I ask myself -- why? Because that's what cops carry? When I need a flashlight, it's usually in the dark.

For me, color matters least in the items I'm rarely looking at, like the pack on my back. I do love the rich red of my Atmos 50, but I appreciate the discreet gray of my NF Skareb 40, too.

But color really matters in tents, I think. They're just so big, compared to our other gear. I dropped by the warehouse clearance sale at Golite, in Boulder, the other day. It was my first look at their tarps & tents. Trigs and Dens were on sale at half price or less, but I wasn't remotely tempted. All were in black, deep green or charcoal, making me think of the old song, ..."where it's dark as a dungeon and dank as the dew..." At night, they'd be invisble from a few yards away. I hadn't thought of them as another poster here said, as nice places to rest when you're sick. They looked like places to commit suicide in. A "den," indeed.

Golite's gloomy hues made me appreciate my new Double Rainbow even more. Henry's silvery gray blends in to a wide range of surroundings, and doesn't clash with any other color. It reflects solar heat in the daytime and at night, it gives up enough light to show its presence. Add the liner, and it provides better shade and brighter use of lanterns and flashlights.

It's a nice change from Sierra Designs blue. Man, I was tired of that-- for over a decade, all my tents were blue. But I see here that some folks prefer that, too.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I vote yes. The reason I'm out there to begin with is to get away from it all, to find solitude and quiet. I want to blend in as much as possible. I don't own a full set of cammo, but if I did you bet I'd wear it. As it is, I wear tans, dark greens, browns, and greys, and all my equipment is the same color scheme. Of course, part of that may be that I used to play "army man" when I was a little kid, and have never fully outgrown it. The only exception is that, in summer, I like to hike in an old, cotton (I know, I know! ) tee shirt that I got from the Navy recruiter. It's white, so I do stand out when I'm in the sunshine. But since I'm usually in the forest, it's not as big an issue.

Just my two cents. That, and a couple dollars, will buy you a latte.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

It matters. I intend to blend into the woods and wild places, preferring to present myself as part of the scene, not as the focus of the scene. I have no idea what modern marketeers have in their minds with some of the colors I've seen conspicuously moving across the landscape. Clearly they are valueing Style and Fashion above the subtleties of backcountry travel.

So, my cover is the only thing I carry in Blaze Orange.

It all comes from The Old Man, with whom I spent many happy months in the boonies as a youngster. His view was that real men wear forest colors, greased boots, a watch cap, Pendleton shirt and Forest Service britches. That always made sense to me, seemed natural; the uniform of the ground pounder. Though I don't wear the heavy stuff anymore I do use the colors, and that goes for my pack(s) and other gear as well.

So to me, color matters.

Ben
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM

I voted somewhat, only because like George Washington I can not tell a lie.
MY gear is mostly picked up at thrift stores so I can have that timeless homeless look. If you go this route you won't bust the budget but you sure will get the hand me downs. Having been the 4th son of 5 I was raised both frugal (cheap sounds so---well cheap to a yankee) & I'm fine with second hand.
For example, my rain gear: orange top, bright yellow pants. I tell my Scouts it will either make it easier for S & R to recover my corpse or they can tell the guys down at the bar they weren't aware the circus had come to town when they found a dead clown back in the woods.
I do prefer mute colors so I always go for military OD or ninja black when I can get it. My most favorite color is green, especially when I find it in my wallet.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM

For me personally, I like to blend in with the surroundings. When I am out in nature I like to be as much a part of it as possible.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

I don't stress about the color of all my gear but I do like my tent,bivy,tarp to blend in so I do like camo if I can get it as I like to stealth camp as for my clothing well what ever I grab is what I will wear.

I like greens,browns/tans/black and grays and years ago I used my Mill gear but that stuff is heavy so some of it got dumped but I still use the rule of three so if most of my gear can not do three things it will not go out with me just one of the things I picked up years back.