Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

View Poll Results: Does Gear Color Matter?
Yes, it matters 106 42.06%
Somewhat 128 50.79%
No, not at all 18 7.14%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

For me it depends on the piece of gear. I prefer my pack to be a pleasing color; my tent or shelter to generally blend in most of the year, but possibly stand out in winter; it doesn't matter what color my sleeping bag is; my climbing helmet and some of my shells are bright colors so that I can be spotted if I tumble into a bad place; I don't care what color my spoon is, but it's nice if my pocket knife has a color that stands out if I drop it.

(etc., etc....)
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I voted sometimes. I too prefer the more subtle colors, but if the item has the features I want, color loses out. My fleece jacket is a nice forest green, but the collar & lapel is lime, go figure. Nice warm jacket, tho.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Color matters to me because I like the stealth thing. However, I noticed a few years ago that I started to look like Martin Sheen in "Apocolypse Now" rising out of the water in full combat regalia on his way to kill Brando. A little creepy no doubt. So I've conciously tried to tone down the cammo and olive drab with some color. I've boldly branched out to a white T-shirt, black vest and tan shorts.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I see in voting "Not at all" I'm in the minority. To the fashion concious, I must look appalling coming down the trail. For me, it's about function, fit, price, then color. Given a choice, with the first three of my criteria being generally equal, I'll pick a subdued color but usually how gear looks is last on the list.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM

I always sacrifice color choice to price. I just got an Ex Offico Air Strip shirt in cayenne because it was only $20. But, apparently Im not the only one because they are all gone!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM

Yes! color does matter. I think all backpacking tents and clothes should be earth colors. It really ruins a outdoors experience when your camped. And all you can see are yellow,red,purple and lime green tents everywhere.Especially around lakes where you would like the view pristine and natural.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM

I voted "Yes, it matters". Generally, I prefer black, grey, khaki or some earth colored clothings for outdoor but my most comfortable hiking shirt is vibrant red. There are times, I find myself not buying certain clothings that didn't suit my color preferences. But there are instances where I have no choice... like my pack is grey/red with a metallic blue rain cover. Unfortunately, it was the only choice of color scheme available for the functions that I required. Besides, I can just change the rain cover... once I retire it. I pack things in small dry bags, and color coding seems to work very well for identifying the contents. I choose bright yellow, vibrant red, and light aqua colors so I can easily identify them at night.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Colors...more important now that I think...

I like natural colors like that of a carpenter house. Espicallely dark greens, grey, and a fey yellows. Green to remind me of the Philadelphia Eagles probably helps to.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM

I voted "Somewhat" in this poll.

Most of my gear is either navy, gray, or black...by choice. So I can't say that I don't have a preference. However, color is almost always secondary to function and price (which are often interchangeable as the dominant factor in gear choice given my meager budget), so there are times when I am unable/unwilling to choose a color suiting my personal tastes over the two above factors.

For example:

FUNCTION - I have been wearing Vasque Velocity shoes for in town and hiking use for the last four years and they come in some pretty terrible colors (all yellow, all red, accents of both, even all blue). However, since I like them so much, the way I shop for a new pair when the time comes is to search for the retailer (online or local) that has them for the lowest price and pick from the colors they offer in my size. If they only have one color, so be it.

PRICE: There have been several times when I've come across a fantastic gear deal and did not want to pass up the fantastic price, because often times this is the only way I can get really good gear. I shop much in between seasons for the clearance sales. Many times, the gear on clearance is a funky size (XXS-wide) or colors that no one else would ever buy. I got a 2003 model Patagonia Puffball vest one time for $25 because it is an electric yellow/green color nobody would touch at full price.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Usually, but not always Stealth

I tend to go mainly with muted woodland colors but I've noticed lately that I haven't been too obcessed with my color combinations. I do like a dark green tent, but I've got my eye on a hammock that's coyotte brown. My smaller pack (Atmos 35) is a muted gray/green, but my larger (Ozone) is dark blue. The sleeping bag doesn't matter, although I prefer a color that doen't show dirt. Clothes tend to be muted, but I always have something that stands out, ie. orange, on hand for emergencies and hunting season.
Sponsored links