Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

Which backpacking apps do you use for both Android and Apple, such as GPS, topo maps, etc. I'd like to know what is working for others.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I haven't used many afield, because of battery issues and the use of alternatives (paper maps, dedicated GPS,...).

However, I've recently played around a little with AllTrails. And I've used "My Tracks" on a few occasions. There are a few good compass apps available.

There's also some apps that family and I had fun with on car camping trips: GPS Essentials (finding satellites in the night sky,...), Google Sky Map, and a couple field guide type apps.

Reality
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

a field guide app paired with google glass would be kind of THE killer app to make me want to take items like that afield. having it identify plants as i'm looking at them would be way too cool.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I have the Samsung Galaxy S3. One reason for picking that was the fact that, with a removable battery, I could get additional ones for the trail. Online auction sites have them quite reasonably priced. One thing I don't like about the phone is that the screen is very hard to read in bright sunlight.

My phone replaced my dedicated GPS, which needed repairs that were going to cost more than the phone upgrade. I have also loaded reading, reference material, star map apps, etc. on it. I always have a paper topo map with me, however, I also load topo maps and satellite photography on the phone. The sat shots have been especially useful and have helped me find poorly defined trails in rocky and desert areas.

I bought Backcountry Navigator Pro for the phone and have been pretty pleased with it. I like the option to toggle between different downloaded map and satellite views. For an additional fee, a person can also order Accuterra as an add on to Backcountry. So far, I haven't been impressed with the value of Accuterra--I think the free maps available with Backcountry Pro are superior. Accuterra is supposed to have more up to date overlays of current roads and trails but the satellite photos take care of that for me. The head honcho of Backcountry Navigator Pro is quite responsive and truly interested in making sure his product is a good value.

I have also downloaded .gpx files that others have posted of hikes they've taken. Putting that into Backcountry gives me a trail map. A few months ago, I did run into a case where the trail had been relocated and I had an older .gpx file. A couple miles of cross country bushwhacking through the woods got me back to the new trail. I had never hiked that trail and didn't know it had been rerouted. The rangers did a pretty good job of obscuring the old one but I kept finding traces of it and thought it just hadn't been maintained in years due to budget cuts.

There is also a free app called High Altitude that uses the GPS position along with Space Shuttle radar topography files to give you your elevation. GPS elevation is the least accurate part of GPS and High Altitude pretty much fixes that since it uses the digital elevation model created my NASA to figure out your elevation. High Altitude downloads the DEM in 1º x 1º blocks. If web access won't be available in your hiking area to download that data, you might need to connect to your computer before going out there and download the info you need, which can be a bit clunky, but it's doable.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: MYOG Cuben, Osprey Atmos 65 AG
Sleeping Gear: MYOG Down Quilt, Enlightened Equipment Accomplice
Shelter: SMD Deschutes CF Tarp, SMD Lunar Duo

One of my boys just got me an AllTrails subscription and while I haven't had an opportunity to work with it yet I like the idea of access to TOPO, whether for accessing and printing maps at home or pulling up/loading them on my phone. I currently use a Galaxy Note 3 so there's a lot of screen real estate. My son pointed me to Backcountry Navigator as an alternative to a dedicated GPS so I'm interested in hearing if you're still using it Grandpa and if you plan to continue doing so. Other apps I currently have installed are SAS Lite, Chimani's National Parks, Google Sky Map, 3D Animated Knots and a first aid app.

My AT trip this past spring was my first time on the trail with this phone. I used a pdf of the AT Thru Hikers Guide which was cool. It served as my phone (service wasn't too bad), camera/video recorder, reader, voice recorder (especially helpful since I can't write so well anymore) and MP3 player on a couple of occasions. At almost 9 oz with the Otter Box cover, it's a beast. But for serving all of those duties I think that's not too shabby. Backcountry Navigator would be icing on the cake, assuming I can work out a reasonable power/recharge solution.