Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Igloo Winter Camping

Does anyone have experience with the Grand Shelters Icebox igloo maker? I have been eyeing this product for a couple of years and it is still around and gaining acceptance. I am planning to try My Marcy, NY in the winter this year (may be even Wright Peak as well) and I like what I am reading about this product.

Here are the specks:

Weights 4- 5 pounds
Take 3-4 hours to make an igloo
Any snow condition fine.
Adjustable pole size accommodates a 7’ dia. 1 person to 11’ dia. 5 person igloo
Inside the igloo it is a toasty 45 degree with 2 candles burning even if it’s -20 degree outside.

The 3-4 hour set up time seems like a drawback, but for what I am doing… Hike into a zone, set up base camp, and do 2 or 3 day trips to backcountry ski locations, it looks ideal.

I would like to hear any experiences with the product, or insightful winter camping comments as it would apply to this approach.

Thanks
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I used one for the first time last winter. It was great. The 4 hour estimate is about right for a two person igloo with two people building it. Make sure you compact the snow before shoveling it into the box part. It was 8 F outside of the igloo and a balmy 30 F inside of the igloo.

I highly recommend it. Before you bring it as your only shelter though you really should practice building some igloo's or bring a backup shelter with you.

Jason
Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4jc88
I highly recommend it. Before you bring it as your only shelter though you really should practice building some igloo's or bring a backup shelter with you.

Jason

Good advice Jason. I'd also recommend bringing a tarp to cover an unfished igloo with until one knows they have mastered the temperature gradiant snow (sugar snow). We have had customers use it for a couple years and then finally run into some sugar snow and get stumped.

Igloo Ed

This is my first post so, Hi Everyone.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

The Tarp saved my A**!!

Well, Ed just got back from Mt Marcy and I have quite a bit to write about the Igloo maker. I look forward to your comments when I am finished. I will start a New thread in the shelters section called "Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo". Look for it soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect
Well, Ed just got back from Mt Marcy and I have quite a bit to write about the Igloo maker. I look forward to your comments when I am finished. I will start a New thread in the shelters section called "Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo". Look for it soon.
Mt. Marcy would mean some pretty cold sugar snow, at least that is what I would expect. I keep checking to see if you've wrote anything.
Take care,