Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

17lb Base - help me cut it more

I shamelessly copied mn backpacker's gear list and modified it for what I have right now...

3 season pack list (item - oz):

Pack [82.7 oz]

ALPS Denali 5500 Pack - 82.7oz (Am hoping to get a GG Mariposa+ saving 62.2oz)

Kitchen [19.79oz if playing chef, 8.2oz if solo]

MSR Pocket Rocket - 3
MSR Titan Kettle - 4.2
MSR FryPan - 5.4*
MSR Spatula - .8*
MSR Pot Handle in pouch - 2*
Seirra Cup (large) - 3.4*
Mini Bic - .25
Lexan Spoon/Fork/Knife - .74

*only brought if not going solo

Sleeping / Shelter [97.4oz] (Am hoping to get a HH Expedition Asym saving 9.1oz)

Slumberjack SuperGuide +30 bag - 36
3/4 Blue Foam Pad - 6.6
8X6 Blue Tarp - 19.3
8X10 Blue Tarp - 31.8
Stakes&Bag - 3.7

Hydration / Containers [24.3oz]

.5L Bottle wrapped with duct tape - 3.7
2L Kelty The Source Bladder - 7.4
MSR Sweetwater Filter - 13.2

Misc / Personal / Hygiene [8.7oz]

ID, CC, Cash - 1
Toothbrush, floss - .25
Toothpaste on wax paper - .25
Wet Wipes - 3.1
Sun Glasses- .7
Bug Repellent - .65
ChapStick - .3
SuperGlue - .25
Food line & carabiner (for hanging& staking) - 2.2

10+ Essentials [5.25oz]

Compass - 1.7
1st Aid Kit - 3.6
3" blade knife - 1.6
LED Head lamp - 2.9
Emergency Blanket - 1.6
Whistle - .5
Magnesium Fire Starter - 1.6
Mirror - .7
WP Matches - .7
Bag for all above - .35

Clothing [33.2oz]

bandana - 1
hat - 3.5
Pants (convertables) - 13.1
Shirts - 14.6
Bag for all above - 1

Total weight: 271.35 oz = 16.96 pounds
Total weight: 259.76 oz = 16.23 pounds if going solo

Noticed that I forgot the trekking poles so add another lb to the total...they're the el cheapo WallyWorld poles that seem to work/hold up pretty well so I won't replace them until I break them (Besides, I just can't justify spending $65+ on a new set of fancy UL jobs at this time ) Actually, what I may end up doing is checking out BassPro or Cabela's for some shooting sticks that double as hiking poles (only because they have the 1/4-20 adapter that I could mount a camera on as a monopod)

I know going to pills would save some bulk and weight over the filter, and may go that route if the concensus is there, but if I can cut weight elsewhere I'd like to keep the filter.

Anyway, please feel free to tell me where I'm in the weeds on this list...

Remnant
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

i'm a full believer in HYOH. everyone's level of comfort with/without certain items varies, and some prefer more of what others might call 'luxury items'. what works for some may not work for others. this will be blunt, but no offense is intended. mostly i'm just going to ask 'why', to make you think. here are my comments/opinions:

that's a heavy pack for such a small load. 5lbs is more than 25% of the total!

why a frying pan? what do you have to have that badly while camping that requires a frying pan? lose it, and you can lose the spatula and handle too. (my own dear brother HAS to have scrambled eggs in the morning... so i make him carry the stuff to cook them.)

get a 3/4 oz green plastic cup from campmor instead of a stainless steel cup... you can also get a lexan mug for about the same weight. they won't burn your lips either.

lexan fork and knife. why? all you really NEED is a spoon.

why two tarps? gear? dog? unruly child? (sort of just kidding.)

you can save 10oz with chemical water treatment. works for some, not for all. Iodine has an aftertaste that can be neutralized. Aqua Mira requires 2 steps, but has no aftertaste (to me. brother says otherwise).

you can get a full travel-sized tube of toothpaste at a gain of a quarter oz... not sure the weight savings is worth what i see as quite a mess with wax paper-wrapped toothpaste... unless maybe it's the dry tooth powder, in which case it's probably fine.

why the emergency blanket? you have two tarps.

why the waterproof matches? you have a lighter. even carrying a spare mini-bic would weigh less than matches, and you get more lights out of a lighter.

why the magnesium fire-starter? you have a lighter. even if it runs out of fluid, you'll have the ability to make sparks. (my love for BIC lighters stems from finding one buried in the mud at an army training area in germany about 18 years ago. it had been there long enough to rust a little, and god knows how many times it had been run over by vehicles, but when i banged it off and got the wheel to turn, it worked... wow!)

you mention 'shirts' as a plural... guess it depends on how long you plan to be out, but only one is necessary (aside from others used as 'layers'.)

not sure about the convertible pants... most people hike in shorts, and i know some who do so even in the coldest winter. rain gear makes a good substitute for pants once you stop and cool down. as i said, everyone's different.

and speaking of rain gear, i didn't see any. also, no bag liner/pack cover.

so, that's my two pennys' worth...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 AM

No offense taken Seeker, blunt and brutal are fine with me as far as getting this list down. If I'm hiking solo, the frypan, sierra cup, spatula, handle all stay home. I only bring them if I'm taking my 9 year old with me (he's my main hiking partner, and he likes his grilled cheese sandwiches-he brings the cheese )

Lexan fork/knife/spoon are all on one ring and @ .75 oz really didn't think was very heavy...maybe have to break the ring...thanks Seeker!

Yeah, I know that bag is heavy, I got it with the idea of being able to go all year round but a 5500 cubes it's huge...

The toothpaste is dried onto the waxed paper, actually I guessed at that weight and on the heavy side I'm sure, as it weighs as much as the sandwich bag (non-ziplock) it's in.

Remnant

E-blanket is out - been in the 10+ bag forever, and I just forgot about it - thanks! Will put it back in if I ever get the HH.
Same with the matches and the Magnesium - they can stay out.

As far as the tarps, one as a ground cover and the other to keep the WX off.

Convertible pants are great in the spring and fall for me, shorts during the day and zip on the legs @ night. (or when going through the weeds)

I hate iodine, and have never tried the Aqua Mira. I'll look into that. That could save ~12.5 oz over the filter, plus the quarter pound you got out of the 10+ bag and misc items that's at least a pound!

I have 2 shirts for layering and/or one to hike in and one to sleep in.

I don't have any rain gear, except for a big black plastic bag I use for all sorts of things.

The pack has a rain cover built in to a bottom pocket of it that I could leave behind and save 3.3oz.

Remnant
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 AM

I'm still trying to do the UL thing myself, so I know where you're coming from!

I'm not sure if you have the money to spend, but even an Equinox (Campmor) 8 x 10 tarp is lighter than a blue tarp. and will be much easier to pitch. Try Tyvek homewrap (10 oz) for a lightweight groundcloth. It will save you about 28 oz.

If you really want to filter your water (I do, since I hate floaties!), check you an inline filter like the Seychelle. YOu can use it in your hydration system or as an in-camp gravity filter. Best part is that it weighs 1/3 as mich as your SweetWater filter at under 4 oz.

Save your money and ditch that monster pack!!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Diana,

I'm not a big fan of "floaties" either, and that Seychelle In-Line looks really good! (Another item just made it into the PDA's shopping list )

I think I'm going to have to live with the tarps until I can afford that HH Expedition Asym.

I know, I know, that pack is a beast - but I'll have to use it until the hammock is purchased, and probably will have to hold off of getting the Mariposa+ until I get my 4-season sleep system shaken out... I'm testing the 30° bag with various clothing layers/pads on the trampoline in the front yard (to simulate a hammock) My wife thinks I'm nuts, but oh well Testing is going kinda slow, as I have to have the right conditions (clear skies and the same temp. to try different things) I just hope that whatever I end up with will fit in the Mariposa...

Thanks again for the comments!

Remnant
Old 10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Remnant, I hear you on the filter. Try the aqua mira and hope you are one of the people who doesn't notice the taste! I can't stand its taste, so I still carry a filter (a heavy MSR Miniworks, at that, because I got annoyed with another filter that broke on me a bunch of times).

I second the comments regarding upgrading to a silnylon tarp, and replacing the groundcloth with Tyvek, or the Spinnsheet from Gossamer Gear, to go even lighter (and cheaper!). A silnylon tarp is better in every conceivable way than the blue things. You might even be able to pick one up used if you look around enough. And you can use the tarp with a hammock when you get one.

What kind of bottle is the .5 liter bottle you mentioned? You can probably save an ounce or two going with a disposable gatorade or soda bottle.

And, like has already been mentioned, you could look into replacing the pack. Again, you might be able to pick up a used lightweight pack if you look around a lot and get a little lucky.

Happy trails!
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 AM

Hey Remnant. You may want to look into making an alcohol stove. The Supercat is really easy to make and is pretty reliable (so I hear, I haven't built one yet). I made a couple of pepsi can stoves and they work pretty well, but really want to try the Supercat or a tea light. Alcohol stove would save you 2.5 oz, plus you can carry the amount of fuel you are going to need instead of carrying a whole canister. You probably don't need the lexan knife since you already carry a pocket knife. I'll second using the soda or gatorade bottles instead of the .5L bottle. I've been thinking of switching to AM or the Micropur tabs(I've heard good things about them on this site). I'd ditch either the matches or the magnesium if you already have a lighter too.

Adam

BTW if you do get that Mairposa Plus let me know, I'd really like to see one in person sometime.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 AM

hey! what's wrong with floaties? they're a key source of protein and 8 essential vitamins and minerals!

seriously, i should run a poll... who likes them, who doesn't... i think the reason i can deal with them and Aqua Mira is having been deployed to somalia-even our bottled water from the UAE and Saudi Arabia had stuff floating in it, and our bulk-water guys double filtered the water they were making, and added so much extra chlorine that it actually would get a head of foam like a beer if you shook a bottle up, and burned your throat for a few days, til you got used to it... but i missed that sweet taste when i got home!

and i understand now about the frying pan... i have a 12 year old who insists on taking a pillow and a large doll... but she's my hiking buddy... i make her carry it, but it's still extra weight since i end up with more of the food. that's ok... she'll outgrow the dolls soon enough, and i'll miss it...

ok, back on topic... (sorry mods).

another suggestion for a lighter ground cloth is just a piece of 3-4 mil plastic sheeting... dirt cheap, and durable enough... some go with 2 mil, but being thinner, it's harder not to poke holes in it. you can buy a big roll, or the smaller sheets sold as paint dropclothes (though they tend to be thin.)

Last edited by Seeker : 10-25-2006 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Seeker,

I was at a shelter in HalapeHI that had a water catchment tank that just reeked of chlorine...even after making a "still" out of a plastic bag, canteen and a boiling pot of water you could still taste the chlorine.

So here's what's getting yanked out of the Beast:

1 Matches
2 Magnesium Firestarter
3 One of the Tarps (will use painter's tarp from WallyWorld - I didn't mention I was cheap did I?) since it looks like it will be awhile before I can go EWOK
4 Lexan knife and fork (don't know how much that will save, but oz add up!)
5 Emergency Blanket

Will add Aqua Mira and keep the filter (in case the Aqua Mira really tastes bad) until I can save up for the Seychelle.

I figure the painter's tarp will be ~5oz or so, saving 14.3oz right off the bat,
and swapping the MSR filter for the Seychelle will save another 9oz so dumping the other stuff and doing those 2 substitutions will save 1.73 lbs.

Aroth, the reason the .5L bottle is so heavy is because that's what I have the duct tape stuck to...and I seem to use duct tape on nearly every overnighter. But your're right, I could wrap some DT onto a Sam's Club H2O bottle just as well and save another oz or 2

I wish I could afford the silnylon tarps, but if I save enough for one, I might as well keep saving until I can afford the hammock

Thanks alot everyone for all of the great suggestions!

Remnant
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I don't think it's a bad idea to have more than one way to start a fire. Cody Lundin always caries at least three, if I recall correctly.