Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskapacking
.................................................. ....................
like i said im slightly skeptical of the camptool atm but im trying it out before i just chuck it without thinking

I wouldn't chuck it any further than a corner of your garage or wardrobe, because it could always eventually live its existence out comfortably in the back of that SUV or 4WD you will be sure to buy at some (far off?) future time....
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: osprey atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: generic scheels bag
Shelter: walrus/sierra designs meteor light 2

lol the pickups got all the tools needed right now, but thats a gear list for another site entirely

anywho im getting antsy its been a while since my last trip due to my recent laziness and the fact that the pack i used to use is broken, cant wait to go my friend is bringing his jet-boil im pretty interested to see how one of those works since ive never used one

a little upset that i have to bring the sierra designs meteor light 2 though, i wanted to use my walrus again but oh well such is life i guess
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

The frameless ultralight packs still need at least a rudimentary suspension. This is commonly created by rolling the sleep pad, inserting into the pack and allowing to unroll, packing the other gear in the center. A better version, giving more shape to the pack is to use the scored, zig-zag folding pads (Z-Rest/GG TorsoLite) against the back with other gear packed into the front.

When I started backpacking 60-some years ago I had no sleeping bag I carried two wool blankets, one folded to fit the back of the pack, the other rolled and stuffed down to the bottom. Worked okay for many boyhood trips.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I too have a couple of items I carry just because they are "me" - unnecessary and add weight but I compromise.
Good suggestions above, I'm sure you'll revise as you go along, and that's the fun of it.......one thing not mentioned is the flashlight - I'd think about going to headlamp in the future. I find flashlights a bit unweildy. I carried a mini-mag all during my military service and well into my post military backpacking years and loved it, but once I tried a lightweight headlamp I never went back. It makes a huge difference having both hands free and the light casting wherever you look, automatically.
Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: osprey atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: generic scheels bag
Shelter: walrus/sierra designs meteor light 2

i had a headlamp for a while but it sat in my box of camping/backpacking gear for a while and the batteries corroded and ruined it so i had to trash it, im gonna get another sometime soon hopefully
Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Looks like a great start and I'll be interested to read your trip report.

Couple of things.
To add insulation to your bag, stuff a fleece blanket inside. They are light and warm as heck. I take one on every winter trip.

I prefer an ensolite (closed cell) foam pad for winter camping. They are cheap, light, durable, and just about every outdoor store carries them.

I put my next days clothes between my sleeping bag and closed cell pad. This does several things, adds another layer between me and the cold ground. Plus my clothes aren't ice cold int eh morning.

Make sure you pee before going to bed, and if you have to pee in teh middle of the night, grin, get up and take care of business. It takes a lot of body heat to keep that pee warm, and if you hold it too long you'll start to get cold. Besides, once you get back to the bag and crawl in, its like climbing into a nice warm glove and you'll be sound asleep in no time.

I too have been in Scouting, although as a ScoutMaster. Never as a Scout. Both my sons earned Eagle Scout. In fact our Troop has a winter campout, ice fishing trip coming in 3 weeks. We are going to knock out Fishing Merit Badge and those that don't ahve Polar Bear will earn it.