Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Travel Backpacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Travel Backpacking The Travel Backpacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to international backpacking (also known as independent travel). Subject matter should involve the elements that comprise this type of backpacking: budgeting, cultural tips, backpacking gear, hostels, and transportation.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:17 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Banned (Carry-on) Air-Travel Items

What do you substitute banned items with for air travel? [Or perhaps you plan to replace such things at your destination - please explain.]

For example, you're going to do some air travel that may involve some rural camping (campground) and hostel use at your proposed destinations. And you will only be carrying baggage (backpack, small hand sack...) that is allowed for carry-on (i.e. no checked bags). What are some items that you'll leave, that you'd otherwise carry if not banned, and with what will you replace them with?

[By the way, this is not about flying to a location for a wilderness backpacking trip. This has to do with International Travel Backpacking.]

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I'm planning to go to Scotland for two weeks and will purchase the necessary banned items once I arrive. Anything not used will be given away to other backpackers/travelers if at all possible.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Gas for my stove. normally can find near the destination without too much trouble. I generally check in some and carry on some, I just make sure knives and larger liquid items (if any) are stowed in check in bags and I've had surprisingly few things I had to leave behind. TSA has listed allowed/banned items, separated into whats allowed for check in or carry on.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
And you will only be carrying baggage (backpack, small hand sack...) that is allowed for carry-on (i.e. no checked bags). What are some items that you'll leave, that you'd otherwise carry if not banned, and with what will you replace them with?
Reality

Why not simply check in your small bag? That way all you have to purchase at arrival is your fuel. I don't see the point in opting to carry-on your bag when that means running the risk of having to leave behind various items (maybe even having to bin then at the security desk).
Old 08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have to admit that I've never had anything confiscated. We regularly fly with large fixed blade knives, axes and shovels in the checked in baggage. The only thing we've ever bought is fuel for our MSR XGK stove.

Can't beat the XGK. Internationally, you'll not be able to guarantee which type of fuel is available. All you might have is diesel and that limits your stove choice, but you'll find that in those countries you'll probably be able to buy firewood for a real camp fire.

The problem we usually face is the baggage allowance on aircraft. You'll think it funny (as ultra light campers) that 30kg each is problematic. Perhaps we take too much stuff, but it's difficult to dig your 4WD out of a river bed without a shovel. We might also need to take quite a lot of batteries as you cannot guarantee being able to buy them locally.

My current problem is a 20kg baggage allowance to New Zealand. The only tent we have weighs 4kg and there's quite a bit a bushcraft kit I want to take. We also have NATO arctic sleeping bags that aren't exactly ultra light. At £900 a flight I'm not really looking at buying new gear...
Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Hi Cossoft, do what we had to do in the late 60s early 70s, wear all your gear, we actually resorted to wrapping our climbing rope around our waists on one flight to enable us to meet the weight restrictions for baggage, some gear is reasonably cheap in NZ, some is expensive, bring in the exxie buy the cheap, sell the swannies to bushcraftrs when you get home