Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Trailhead > Trip Reports
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Trip Reports The Trip Reports forum is for backpackers to share their actual (not links to) trip reports and/or journal entries for their wilderness backpacking and day-hiking trips. Please include photos and information regarding what worked (e.g. gear) and what didn't.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Oregon Coast - Short Hike

I did a short (one-day) hike on the Oregon Coast on Sunday. It was a nice cool day - 60s and no rain.

There were clouds that eventually burned off with the late afternoon sun.

Here's a picture of the cloud cover and coastline earlier in the day.

I took along a 3-ounce wind jacket (Golite Ventus) to see how it would perform in the wind. I didn't expect much out of this jacket, but I was fairly impressed at the way it handled strong winds while walking on the beach. However, as expected, I did not like it on the trail (while hiking) - which is the case (for me) with most jackets... So, it was promptly stowed... I don't like to become overheated - and it doesn't take much clothing for me to get that way.

I came upon a deer - just 6-8 feet away from me. It didn't care too much that I was there. There was the usual muddy sections that so often appear on the costal trails.

I may consider a longer journey along the coast in the future. It's quite different from the inland mountain areas that I normally frequent. I wonder how long I'd still hear the sound of the ocean waves in my mind, once I completed a long journey. The powerful roar of the ocean was ever-present even well within the dense forest.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Sounds like a fun hike, and from the looks of your photo it was very picturesque. Were you hiking along the beach, or is there a trail slightly inland? It sounds like you were hiking inland.

Also, is that Golite Ventus jacket breathable?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_backpacker
Sounds like a fun hike, and from the looks of your photo it was very picturesque. Were you hiking along the beach, or is there a trail slightly inland? It sounds like you were hiking inland.

The trail basically runs along the cliffs above the rocks, beach, ocean... The trails does lose sight of the ocean here and there and goes through dense forest - only to lead you back out for another great view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_backpacker
Also, is that Golite Ventus jacket breathable?

No.

In the strong wind with little exertion it was fine. I just have it around for the cooler summer winds that I encounter when I'm a little damp with sweat. I don't really expect much out of it...but it does fit the niche for which I take it along.

Reality
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

Those are some beautiful shots, Reality. You are truly blessed with majestic scenery in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeNate
Those are some beautiful shots, Reality. You are truly blessed with majestic scenery in your neck of the woods.

You said (wrote) a mouthful (bufferful) WildlifeNate. It is very beautiful here. There are volcanoes, majestic mountains, lush valleys, old growth forests, alpine meadows, raging rivers, hundreds of lakes, the Pacific Ocean, and even desert regions. It truly does provide a wealth of adventurous options.

I've backpacked all over the country (USA), and have found most of what I've experienced throughout it right here in Oregon.

Reality
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
I've backpacked all over the country (USA), and have found most of what I've experienced throughout it right here in Oregon.

Reality

Shhhh!!! Washington is much better.

Those are great shots, Reality. Is that around Ecola state park?
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Those are great shots, Reality. Is that around Ecola state park?

Thanks. Yes, they are both in that relative area.

Reality